Rx With/without Mark Levinson Sound System

I would like to know the opinion of anyone who has had more than one RX (RX300, RX330, or RX400h) and had the Mark Levinson sound system in one RX, but not in another RX. I am very curious to know if the Mark Levinson sound system provided a much better sound in the RX than without it. I have it in my ES300 and then test drove the RX400h without it, but that is a comparison between apples and oranges; the RX is much larger and has more open space, thus I would believe that the sound dynamics are much different between the RX and ES. I would like the opinion of someone who has really heard the diffence in the RX series and can compare the difference solely in an RX.

I have answered this question a hundred times in the dealership. Or better yet bring your own cd and answer it yourself. Mark Levinson is a great system. The diifferences however mainly seem to be noticeable while listening to classical music or music with alot of instrumentation. There your notice the diference in clarity in distortion. Other then the Premium Sound Systemhas always been fine for me

The ML is the only major dissapointment I have about my 400h. It's probably the worst upgrade for a stereo system from all the manufactors, expecially the luxury market. Only 210 watts is laughable for a car this size. The lack of a true subwoofer is also a big element missing.

For the almost $1000 you pay for the system, you can go to any high-end stereo shop and have a much better system.

The ML is the only major dissapointment I have about my 400h.  It's probably the worst upgrade for a stereo system from all the manufactors, expecially the luxury market.  Only 210 watts is laughable for a car this size.  The lack of a true subwoofer is also a big element missing. 

For the almost $1000 you pay for the system, you can go to any high-end stereo shop and have a much better system.

I agree, pretty average system to my ears and seems odd that it is considered an upgrade. My wife drives the 400h and it doesn't matter much to her but she even commented that it didn't sound any different to her than the system she had in her Volvo. I drive an 05 Acura RL and the standard sound system in the RL is considerably better with all types of music than this Lexus upgrade system. No comparison imho.

I would like to know the opinion of anyone who has had more than one RX (RX300, RX330, or RX400h) and had the Mark Levinson sound system in one RX, but not in another RX.  I am very curious to know if the Mark Levinson sound system provided a much better sound in the RX than without it.  I have it in my ES300 and then test drove the RX400h without it, but that is a comparison between apples and oranges; the RX is much larger and has more open space, thus I would believe that the sound dynamics are much different between the RX and ES.  I would like the opinion of someone who has really heard the diffence in the RX series and can compare the difference solely in an RX.

I listened to one of the ML systems and did not care for the difference.

I installed a basslink woofer that sits in the rear. Sounds great and unplugs when I need storage room.

I listened to one of the ML systems and did not care for the difference.

I installed a basslink woofer that sits in the rear. Sounds great and unplugs when I need storage room.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. How difficult was the install on the basslink? I've been looking for a place to put something back there, but I don't want to cover up all those compartments.

I traded in a 2004 RX330 w/ML for the 2006 RX400h w/o ML. The difference is certainly audible, especially with certain type of recordings. All in all, ML outputs more wattage to more speakers plus a subwoofer, which is absent in the non-ML system. Depending on the musical preference, the additional cost of the ML may not necessarily justify the marginal sound improvement for 80% of the music that I listen to. On the other hand, ML does sound phenomenal playing classical music and CDs with superior original recordings.

In conclusion, I'm completely satisfied with the system w/o ML. Installation of an aftermarket subwoofer can easily resolve the issue of insufficient deep bass at a substantial saving over the ML option. :)

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. How difficult was the install on the basslink? I've been looking for a place to put something back there, but I don't want to cover up all those compartments.

Basslink allows both speaker-level input and RCA input as signal source. Moreover, it has auto mode that will turn itself on and off, eliminating the need for turn-on lead. The only connection involved is speaker-level wire which can be taken from rear speakers, and the power cable directly from the battery with an in-line fuse close to the battery, and ground the wire anywhere to the body frame of the car.

One of the way to avoid covering up the 3 compartments in the trunk is to mount the sub onto the back of the seat. The installation should be relatively simple, though maybe time consuming running and hiding the wires. :)