Aftermarket Wire Harness

Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge about aftermarket stereos but i am looking into fixing up my stereo and need some help. I plan to get an amp (hook it up to both my sub and speakers), get new speakers, and get a new head unit. I read on lexls.com that when u install a aftermarket wire harness you lose your subwoofer...im really not familiar with this so if someone could please explain to me how you would get your subwoofer to work. Also im wondering what i would have to do to wire up the speakers to an amp. Finally my last question is if this method i looked into would work...if i get a 4-channel amp and run the 2 left speakers in series to the front left channel, then run the 2 right speakers in series to the front right channel, could i then run the sub (bridged?) out the back 2 channels. Once again forgive me for my lack of knowledge if im not making any sense at all please tell me.