Rx300, Rx330, 02+ Es Gauge Cluster Needles

LexKid630

Well my curiosity about the gaugle cluster needles lead me to purchasing an rx300 gauge cluster (not whole unit, just what you "see." This is what i found:

-The needles are NOT self lit. The light in back of the gauge cluster goes through the panel and into clear plastic in the needles themselves. Therefore i can positively say these needles will NEVER burn out as old lexus model needles do. The reason for the weird shape of the needles is to reflect the light down the whole needle from behind the gauge panel. The extended rear to the needle (opposite the needle part) contains a lead weight to make the needle balanced. There is a tiny pin attaching from the needle that goes into a tiny motor behind the panel, this is how they're held on.

-Behind the gauge cluster (behind what you see) is a 1/4 inch plastic sheet that covers the whole area. Where the numbers and integer lines are, is painted white. I guess whatever lights up the whole gauge cluster is put right to the clear plastic, sines and bounces off everywhere, and only lights up the white parts, which is reflected through the integer lines etc. to our eyes.

Very interesting.... i never thought a gauge cluster was made this way! And the needles are NOT self lit by LED's or several SMD's.....Just reflected light from behind the gauge cluster.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, i would be happy to answer them for you!

• 1 month later...

I drew some diagrams of the small needles in case anyone wanted to see LOL :whistles:

I drew them on paint and coped and pasted them on Microsoft Word. This is the document...I have NO clue if this will work LOL

Tell me what you think!

Oh i forgot to mention, the 99 - 01 needles on the rx300 are different than the 02 and 03 needles. The shape of the circular base of each needle is "cut" on the older ones. On the 02+ needles, the base of each needle is perfectly round. you can see what i mean from looking at these diagrams i drew. These are the 99-01 needles for the rx300.

small_needles.doc

Pics of the needles from a camera phone. The arrows are showing the differences from the 99-01 and 02-03 needles on the rx300.

I am not so clear as to why this thread is posted, Is it to show how the needles are illuminated? Lex, Are you having problems with your dash? Please clarify as to why you did this besides curiosity.

No i'm not having any trouble, i'm just amazed at how they're engineered LOL :geek:

I always thought they contained cold cathode tubes, Led's or SMD's which have been known to burn out over time in older Lexus models.

Now i know that they will never burn out, so we can all be relaxed :lol:

sorry for the confusion :cries: