How Tight Is The A/c, Alt Belt Supposed To Be

Hi all,

I had a new alternator installed in my 98 ES300 and now my A/C is making a whirring (whistling) noise. In a previous message I posted here, a couple of replies sugessted the belt may be too tight. I checked it (by hand) and it's pretty doggone tight. I talked to the dealer who installed the alternator and they will look at it to see it they adjusted the belt too tightly. However, I would like to know if there is a Lexus spec that the belt is to be tighted to. Also, any ideas where I might find a place that can measure the tightness or a place where I might rent the tool. I'm afraid the dealer is going to say the belt is fine and I'll be stuck replacing the A/C. I would like to have some evidence on my side before I let them touch it again.

Thanks,

Bill

keep all your receipts form everytime you bring it in. Give the Lexus dealer that installed the ALT one chance to eliminate the sound. If they quiet things down, then drive off happy.

If they do not,

Take it to a Toyota dealer or another Lexus dealer and explain the noise. Don't tell them you have already been to the 1st Lexus dealership. If they fix it, find out what they did. If they say the belt was too tight or if it has anything to do with the ALT install, get everything in writing. Pay them for their services and walk out with a smile.

Drive your very silent car over to the 1st Lexus dealership and ask to speak with the service manager in his office with the general manager present. Explain the resolution and show them the bill. Ask them to reimburse you for the cost of the repair you had done at the other dealership that was not performed to your satisfaction at their dealership. Notify 1-800-25-LEXUS of all the events. You should get reimbursed for a repair that the 1st Lexus dealship failed to perform to your satisfaction.

You should have no problem recovering your money.

steviej

PS, Amazon.com. get the Hayes manual for the 91-01 Camry/Solara/Avalon/ES. It might/should be in there. Plus this is a sound $20 investment.