How Much For Replacing Valve Cover Gaskets?

F1FTEENTH

Hello, i was wondering if anyone has had their valve cover gasket( rear or both) changed(preferably by lexus dealer) and could tell me how much it was? cause...i believe mine is leaking and burnning of which is giving me a terrible smell and...looks pretty crappy as well.....and i also get the smell when i turn on the heat...i get a burning smell and sometimes smoke...so...any estimates would be great! thanks alot

'bout $25 for the two gaskets + hour of labor if they'rehonest, normally you pay two. So that'll either be hour * 60, or hour * 90 depending on where you go.

If you went to a Toyota dealer, it'd run about $200 depending on what speed they want the tech to work at. $300 at a Lexus dealer.

That's just if you do valve cover gaskets. They should be doing the cam seals while they've got the valve covers off. Add about 10-20 min & $20 for parts. I'm not sure what year car you have, if you have a '93 & before model, add the distributor gasket too. Another $5 & about 10 min.

• 4 weeks later...

I would also like some input on this. I took my car into lexus for an oil change today and they said that my rear valve cover gasket was leaking on my 98 es. They wrote me up an estimate for cam seals, crank seals, 2 valve gaskets, plenum gasket, and a timing belt (he said to go ahead and do it while everything's out, just going to cost $69 extra). Grand total: $969.00 Is this extremely high or what? I am within about 20k of needing a timing belt. Thanks.

Timing belt + water pump would be about $400.

In all honesty the tab for doing all of that should be like $450-550.

A valve cover gasket is $12

Intake plenum gasket is like an exhaust gasket MLS (Multi-Layer Steel) They are re-useable. $10-15 for one of those new.

Cams seals, crank seals are $20-30 all together.

Hell... You can buy the master gasket set for any Toyota on ebay for $100-$140 & have it shipped to your door.

I hope you've got some KY, because for that price you're getting raped.

Check this thread out... I had mine fixed last year (not sure if it was front, back, or both) and this is the thread that I had started about the valve cover gaskets (and other stuff).

Uhm, where's the link?

On related note, is there any preventative maintenance that could be done to prevent valve cover gasket from leaking? :) My mechanic said something like my valve gasket is a little off but it's not leaking. There's something going on with it - forgot what it is exactly but he said he sees same thing in every es300 that comes to his shop.

On related note, is there any preventative maintenance that could be done to prevent valve cover gasket from leaking?

No. Like anything if you were just that into it, you could check the torque on the bolts, but then you have to tear it all off & re-do it.

It's pretty much either making a gasket out of something that lasts longer - like RTV.

I've found better than stock is buying new bolts+rubber isolation washers from the local nut & bolt house & when installing a new gasket, you could up the torque to say 15 lb-ft. Stock is like 50-70in-lb(4-6lb-ft) depending on the engine. The trick is doing it 5 lb-ft at a time as the aluminum threads in the heads are very easy to strip out.

i too was quoted $550 from the only Lexus dealership in town for a front&rear VC gasket work . i found an independent mechanic to do the work for $330 which also included new platinum spark plugs, PCV valve and fuel filter. i would recommend going ahead and change spark plugs since everything are already removed to do the gaskets.

for the person asking about preventive maintenance for leaking VC gaskets, a clogged PCV valve can cause leakage. a $5part and an easy DIY.

Check this thread out... I had mine fixed last year (not sure if it was front, back, or both) and this is the thread that I had started about the valve cover gaskets (and other stuff).

Uhm, where's the link?

On related note, is there any preventative maintenance that could be done to prevent valve cover gasket from leaking? :) My mechanic said something like my valve gasket is a little off but it's not leaking. There's something going on with it - forgot what it is exactly but he said he sees same thing in every es300 that comes to his shop.

Hahaha. Sorry, I forgot to paste it in! Here it is.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=8370&hl=valve

My dealer recommended that I replace the valve cover gaskets and p/s pump about 40k miles ago. I have done neither with no ill effects. I guess they are very conservative with their recommendations. New Jersey is a very high cost area. I can't recall the exact amount for the valve cover gaskets, but it was explained to me that a lot of labor is required and much of the top of the engine needs to be disassembled. I am thinking of an old American car where the valve covers just come off with a few screws.