Power Steering Is Gone.. Need Advice/tips

smokey0066

It doesn't gurgle anymore; that was about 2 months ago when the fluid was low.

Now it just whines when i try to turn. I think I will take it to a local shop tomorrow someon recomended me to last time and see what they say. Last time they offered to rebuild the rack over the phone when I told them what was happening but I declined..

Belt is good, no slipping, although it is old and has small spider cracks on it. electrical and ac is running fine...

Your pump might be going but before you go running for a new pump, check the belt tension/condition.  The pumps in these cars could make noise but if the steering feels good it may be just the pump going or the belt or both.  I had the same problem with a Diamante, ended up replacing the belt and the pump, a mechanic friend of mine said the gurging noise was ok if the steering felt good which it did, but I hated the noise, so I replaced the pump, and the belt, no more noise.  If the power steering gave out it was probably with low pressure meaning probably the pump, is bad or clogged or both. Needs checking.

C. PR

So you're thinking the detergents have loosened up crap and now its clogging the filter?

Do you guys have a diagram of where this screen/filter is??

I'm just gonna take it to a local garage but I'm not sure they'll know where this screen/filter is located.. It'd be nice to have a diagram to take with me...

Okay After digging I think I found it..

Is this the link I should refer toO?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=12024&hl=

It looks like something I could tackel if only it wasn't 20F outside.. looks like it'll be going to the shop regardless. Does the 98 have this same solenoid? It looks like everyone who does this has the previous gen of ls400..

SO what exactly does this solenoid/filter do? when the filter is blocked what happens? I know I've asked alota stupid questions but I'm worried about my car.. No one seems to know what is going on. I read on here the diagnosis should take 2hrs per lexus manual but I dont think the dealer did a thorough job diagnosing this.. I def did not get charged for 2hrs.

Smokey,

"The only stupid question is the one not asked". If that screen is clogged the symptoms would be the same as you have now and being clogged it could take out the pump. I am not sure about the 98, but I had the same problems on my 90, replaced the pump and all was fine. About 8 months later the whining came back and I cleaned that filter. The pump was happy and so was I and it made all the difference in the world. Look under the driver's side by the steering rack and you should see it and the 2 wires.