2001 RX300 Problems?

gal

:( Yesterday [@22,000 miles] I had to have my "carbonized" idle control valve replaced because my engine would not hold an idle after initial start! The main reason I bought this vehicle was its high reliability rating. Prior to that, I have been very dissatisfied with the left turn radius and the cup "holders." Yesterday's 4-hour mechanical problem just about "did it" for me with this car! [Prior to this car I owned a 924 Porsche, Oldsmobile and Cadillac--all of which spent too much time in the shop!]

Has anyone had this valve problem? What other serious problems is this model noted for?

Seriously considering jettisoning this car.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I have a 99 RX300 with the same problem with the idle control valve. Though not a consistant staller..it is still scary when your're sitting at a stop sign and the car stalls on you. I have heard that this $200 valve can usually be cleaned and I would think that with only 22k on your car that's what should have been done. Unfortunately the lexus repair dealer in my area in shreveport, LA is has an aggressive high dollar quota repair ego..thinking that the average lexus owner knows nothing about a cars mechanicals and needs to know nothing because the average owner has a lot of money. They would definitely want to replace vs. clean this part for me so I am going to try to find out where it is myself. Good luck to you.