Tires Rebalanced

SRK

I had a small shake in my GS400 equipped with new (when I bought the car used) Michelin Pilot AS Z-rated tires. Not bad, but enough that it was there. When a pal bought a brand new G-35 Coupe with 19's on it, and it was smoother, I knew something had to be done.

I found a local tire shop that has been around for years. Little hole-in-the-wall kind of place, but I had heard that they had a Hunter wheel balancer that has the road force wheel on it. I had them balance the tires on my LS after I painted the wheels and remounted the tires myself. Perfect job. So I took my GS wheels to the shop (dismounted them and lugged them out to the tire shop in my beater Volvo).

I asked them to check the present balance, and the road force variation. They did, and found one tire mismatched with a wheel in terms of the heavy spot. They rotated the tire on the wheel, and rebalanced the others, that were close, but not perfect. Total charge was $8.00 per tire, plus tax. $35.00 did it. The tire machine cost them $22,000.00! I thought the balancing charge was cheap!

The car is now perfect. Unreal difference, smooth, just floats down the highway. Even seems to track better.

Now the LS and the GS drive as Lexus intended. And this shop will have my business for as long as they are in business.

The road force deal is worth whatever you have to pay. It makes the balance truly accurate.

Good tip. The problem I have in my area is that the tire shops - even the big chain type tire shops - hire 18-22 year olds who have no interest in doing accurate, precise work, use the old inexpensive type balance machines and don't keep a good, complete assortment of wheel weights in stock. On top of that they charge $12.00 a wheel.

Specifically, what does this expensive & 'high tech' balancing machine offer that a regular balancing machine dosen't? :unsure:

monarch makes a fair point about the type of people some shops hire to do their work & not pay attention so the customer suffers in the end. :angry:

So I guess what I am trying to say or ask here is.......was this problem solved because more competent people did the balancing (and would have been solved on a regular machine anyways) or did you have no choice no matter what to have this special machine fix your 'wheel shake'? B)

:cheers:

The machine improves upon the old dynamic type balance. Of course static balancing is a thing of the past. This Hunter machine can measure dynamic balance and can calculate weight placement anywhere within the wheel width to achieve it. On the GS wheels, weights cannot be attached on the outer edge, so a machine that can place the weight inside that edge and still maintain the dynamic balance is essential. This capability has been around for a while, but the accuracy varies. As well, the Hunter machine can apply a steel roller to tire, at a weight similiar to the load placed on it by the car. In my case, about 800 pounds of force. As the tire is rotated against it, the machine calculates the sidewall deflection force, which may not be constant, and in the case of low profile tires, becomes a problem when it is not constant as the sidewalls tend to be stiffer than those on higher profile tires. Sidewall stiffness variations can produce vibrations like imbalance. Balancing correctly can eliminate them. As well the machine measures wheel run-out axially and radially, and can find heavy spots in the wheel and the tire. In my case one tire was rotated on the wheel to bring the two heavy spots into opposition, which reduces the amount of weight needed. I also had a wheel with a small amount of run-out, and the machine compenstated for that too.

Only two shops in my town of 400,000 people have a machine like this. I wanted to give it a try after having no luck with other shops. The other shop charges $30.00 a wheel to do the road force balance.

The machine is complex, and requires some training, but on the other hand it has a large computer touch screen which directs the operator. Everyone in this shop seems to know exactly what they are doing, including the 19 year olds. Good enough for me.

A pal of mine had the local Costco install four tires, and I have bought from them before too. On the way home three tires tossed their wheel weights. So much for skill and attention to detail. I have bought several sets of tires from Costco. No more. This shop gets my business.

I guess the answer is that this machine combined with skilled operators cured a problem that the original tire installers did not detect or could not correct.

Ain't technology wonderful?

The tire business is highly competitive, and they all know what each other has for equipment, and as Lexusfreak says, the manufacturers of the various machines tend to promote sales by indicating who has bought what. The only other Hunter is at the bigger of two Ford dealerships (which would explain the $30.00 charge!)

• 5 months later...
Only two shops in my town of 400,000 people have a machine like this. I wanted to give it a try after having no luck with other shops.

How do you find out what shops have this particular machine without calling them all?

www.gsp9700.com enter you zip code and it tell you which shops in the area have the road force balancer

Mikeb - Thanks for the great link! I found 35 places within a 10 mile radius of my house. 2 of them are less than 2 miles away. I also noticed that 2 of my Lexus Dealers have the Hunter as well. Have you used any of the local shops? I am in the Chicago suburbs and I see you are nearby. Thanks