'92 Ls400 Headlight Issue

jds7717

I have a 1990 LS400, and I always leave the headlight switch (at near the steering wheel) on. That way, I have "daytime running light". And, after getting to destination and turning off the engine, I make the headlights turn off by just opening the driver's door (then lock the car and leave).

My battery seems to be OK with that setting.

But I always replace it with a new one from WalMart every 2 years, (~$40, I believe), even if it's still good, just to be sure.

do headlights supposed to dim at all when starting the engine? An older thread said that a healthy electrical system shouldn't dim the lights at all when cranking the engine, but no matter which car I drive the headlights always dim a little while starting.

Hasn't the "hey, you left the lights on!" beeper/buzzer been a feature of cars for a really long time? Why would they omit this? The "auto" turn off feature works half-assed at best on this car. If I turn off the ignition and open the driver's door then the lights will turn off, but if any other event occurs (passenger opens door first, etc) then the lights will stay on and I'm hosed.

I have also noticed that when I open the driver door, the dome lights do not come on even though the switch is set to "door". Could this be the source of my problem?

I always leave my headlights on also. When the key is out and the drivers door is opened they go out. But for a 3 month period about a year ago I would come back to my car once and a while and find the lights on and the battery drained. I carry a jumper box in the trunk so not too big a deal. By the time I decided to do something about this problem, it fixed itself, or whatever. I haven't had the lights stay on or a drained battery for a year now. Go figure. I also just get a new Wall Mart battery every 3 or 4 years. 50 bucks for the yellow 3 year 1,000 cranking amp one. I dont think there is a listing for it. You have to take a tape measure in there and get one that will fit. And it does fit good. OK I will get the part number out. MAXX-1N One of the last great deals in this world, that and Pizza.