Srt Intake And Other Modding

have a 2001 gs300 fully stock

i really know nothing about modding cars so ive been reading up though i dont want to do exhaust because i want to keep it quiet so i was thinking of an air intake

http://www.lextasy.com/gs300_srt_intake_1422_prd1.htm

it says 30hp but would it really add this much? how noticable of a difference is this? How much would this improve gas mileage?

How hard is this to install?

Does it really modify the ecu? Will this mess up the ect pwr and ext snow buttons? Will pwr mode still be faster and snow mode still better in snow?

apparently it does 0-60 in 8.2 which seems really slow compared to my 95 mercedes e420 (its a v8 with 275hp but its also heavier and older)

how much do you all think this intake would take off my 0-60 time?

i need to do a lot of research becuase being 17 450$ is a lot of money

are there better intakes out there?

what are some other mods i could do to make it race worthy?

it says 30hp but would it really add this much? how noticable of a difference is this? How much would this improve gas mileage?

How hard is this to install?

Does it really modify the ecu? Will this mess up the ect pwr and ext snow buttons? Will pwr mode still be faster and snow mode still better in snow?

apparently it does 0-60 in 8.2 which seems really slow compared to my 95 mercedes e420 (its a v8 with 275hp but its also heavier and older)

how much do you all think this intake would take off my 0-60 time?

i need to do a lot of research becuase being 17 450$ is a lot of money

are there better intakes out there?

I’ll try to answer a few of your questions. First of all, you aren’t going to get an additional 30 HP with the SRT intake on a GS300. The dyno charts for the GS400 showed a 25 HP increase. In reality it might not be that much. Swift probably posted the very best test results out of who knows how many tests. If you get 15-20 extra HP on the 300 consider yourself lucky.

Will it improve gas mileage? From what I have heard it may marginally increase mileage but don’t expect more than 1 or 2 extra MPG.

How hard is it to install? A lot of the guys say it is a DIY (Do it yourself) job. There are two tasks: Installing the cold air intake, this is probably DIY, and soldering the piggyback SRT chip to the ECU. That is not something that should be attempted by anyone who doesn’t know what he is doing. If you screw up your ECU you can kiss about three grand goodbye. This chip should have no effect on your tranny mode or VCS, it only effects the fuel mixture.

0-60 time 8.2 seconds. If you want performance than the GS400 is the way to go. 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, 150 MPH top end and it doesn’t burn much more gas than the 300. The SRT intake and piggyback might get your 0-60 time down to 7.7 or 7.8 but don’t expect much more.

You’re right, $450 is a lot of money. However, it is probably the most cost effective way to boost HP. A cat back exhaust might cost six or seven hundred and give you five extra HP. Do the math, I did and that is why I ordered the SRT intake and chip for my 400. The only way to really get the GS300 to perform much better is to put a turbo charger on it. But to have that installed is going to cost you at least five thousand dollars.

My advice – sell your 300 and buy a 400.

Don't think adding the SRT intake would keep it quiet.  The consensus seems to be it is one of the louder ones.

Or you can just save your nickles and dimes (a whole lot of em) and cop a 2j wit a huge snail on it.

bmw2jz2_large.jpg

:rolleyes:

2 wordz...T3h S3x! Plus you'd be one of very few to rock this setup in a GS. Food for thught.