Lx450 Shocks

dwells50

Hi! My 1997 LX450, with 100K mi., has a bouncy ride in some road and wind conditions. If I give it the old "shock test" in the driveway, by pushing down the bumpers, the shocks seem good. I have heard that, when purchased new, the Lexus dealers would replace the shocks and springs with stiffer Landcruiser parts if the owner wished. We don't wan't to lose it's comfortable smooth ride, but the bounce really feels dangerous sometimes. Can I get good results just by replacing with firmer shocks, if so, whats a good choice? Thanks, Drew

• 2 weeks later...

Shock absorber selection is related to your vehicle use, if you are mainly a highway user then you have a couple of options - (1) stay with the factory standard issue shocks and springs - (2) You may want to consider upgrading to OME (Old Man Emu) shocks & springs, they originate from Australia and come in many different heights and ride options. In my humble opinion a big improvement on original equipment.

Regards

David

1998 LX450

1997 Landcruiser

• 3 weeks later...

ellieoh:

Have you tried OME shocks and springs? On which vehicle? How were they better?

I have a 97 LX450 with 75,000 miles and am thinking it may be time for new shocks. Testing the shocks by rocking it side to side I find that it takes a couple of oscillations for the movement to die down. Other than that, it seems OK.

Thanks,

Mike

97 LX450

81 Landcruiser FJ60

• 2 weeks later...

I have OME shocks and springs on my LX 450 as well. But before going with OME, you need to know that there will be a huge difference in ride. If you like the floaty feeling of the factory Lexus shocks and springs, you may not like the OMEs. If you don't like the side-to-side swaying and the bounciness that you described, either Land Cruiser or OME may be the way you want to go. You just need to decide what it is you want.

For what it's worth, since switching to OME from stock, I've been very happy with the ride and performance. It is a stiffer ride, but much more controllable.

Good luck.

Doug