60k Maintenance Questions

rayhwong

Hi,

My 2001 RX300 2wD is due for its 60k maintenance. I need some help so I dont get ripped off at the shop. I am a newbie to cars so please bare with me, but I am willing to learn. I checked the Edmunds site for the maintenance list.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Do RX300s need a "tune up"? My rx doesnt accelerate as quickly as it use to be (maybe just normal aging)

2) Does the differential fluid ever need to be replaced? The guide always says to check, I have not seen my mechanic replace it to date.

3) When do the brake pads need to be replaced?

4) Do the spark plugs need replacement? They have not been changed yet.

5) I got my transmission fluid changed at a reputable speed oil change place (not toyota/lexus), and I just read that the rx300 needs special tranny fluid. Is my transmission in trouble?

6) Should I always service my car at a toyota or lexus dealership?

Thank you so much in advance!

-Ray

Hi,

My 2001 RX300 2wD is due for its 60k maintenance.  I need some help so I dont get ripped off at the shop.  I am a newbie to cars so please bare with me, but I am willing to learn.   I checked the Edmunds site for the maintenance list.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Do RX300s need a "tune up"?  My rx doesnt accelerate as quickly as it use to be (maybe just normal aging)

2) Does the differential fluid ever need to be replaced? The guide always says to check, I have not seen my mechanic replace it to date.

3) When do the brake pads need to be replaced?

4) Do the spark plugs need replacement?  They have not been changed yet.

5) I got my transmission fluid changed at a reputable speed oil change place (not toyota/lexus), and I just read that the rx300 needs special tranny fluid.  Is my transmission in trouble?

6) Should I always service my car at a toyota or lexus dealership?

Thank you so much in advance!

-Ray

I would not have the spark plugs changed, they are supposedly good for 100k miles. Engine oil, filter, air filter, Replace brake fluid (flush) Automatic transmission fluid change, Inspect brakes, and all other fluids. Get it done at Toyota, it will be considerably cheaper.Have the transmission flushed immediately if they used dexron. Make sure to have Toyota Type IV put in.

make sure you say flush .... not drain and fill ..... it may cost a little more but thell the service writer that another place changed the fluid and wasn't sure they put the correct fluid in it ....Dexron is very different than type IV

if you never changed the brakes it is about time ....

there is no diff in a 2wd

usually a lexus dealership is better ..... eventhough toyota can do the job ....