Need Headlight Help!

SAM98TAM6

Hello all! I've tried the search, but don't get very good results.

I just purchased a 1990 LS400 from the original owner, with only 59k miles.

:)

I bought some Silverstars to replace the yellow looking headlights, but can't find a good explanation of how to remove the old ones.

I unscrewed 5 screws, and still couldn't get the lights out. I tried removing the air silencer/filter, and couldn't unscrew/remove the original bulb.

Help!

you dont have to buy a users manual, just to go lexus site and register with them, they have option to request a free manual from them

just do this and you will get it in 2-3 weeks.

Hey Sam, are you trying to replace the bulbs, or the whole headlight unit? I know exactly what you mean about all the screws and bolts.... I just wan't sure what you mean't by the "yellow" part. The light from the bulbs or that the lens is yellow. Kind of strange for a car with 59K? Mine has 130K and they are still very clear. Your car sounds very sweet, I know you are going to be very happy. Denny (from VB)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a headlight problem too. I have a 97 LS400. A wayward rock broke the lens of the right one. Because of the visable clips, I thought it would be a simple replacement. WRONG. :o I had to buy the entire headlight unit. Dealer, obviously, wanted an "arm" for the unit and the "leg" for installation. :blink: Fortunately (for my pocket), I was able to get get a used headlight unit. But now I'm having problems with the installation. In trying to remove the old unit, three of the bolts are easily assessible. However, there appears to be no way to get to the lower left bolt. Any help with instructions would be appreciated.

Sam, I had the same problem when one of the bulbs blew. Althought the headlight system seems rather complicated, what I di was remove screws and try to figure out what the set up was. I did take out several screws that I didn't need to, but after looking at it I figured it out. The first side took me 30 minutes, the second I di in 5. I wish I had taken digital pictures when I di it but I wasn't on this forum at the time. I will tell you that you don't need to remove the battery or air cleaner stuff or anything like that. It is actually well engineered, it just takes some thought to understand what Toto was thinking when they they designed it. I lke the look of the new bulbs. Be patient and use deductive reasoning to understand it. Once you see how they work, you will say "cool." Remember, this is all for fun and learning.

Think like an engineer.

Denny