Who Wants A Turbo Option

Toysrme

I was reading that link that you sent me. I hope that I am misunderstanding the manifold pressures. If I am not how can the 2vz-fe handle those pressures in stock configuration. All of my experience with forced induction has been in the form of a B&M 671 blower on a small block Mopar. All you had to do to change boost pressures was change the pulley diameters. I do appreciate you "holding my hand through this"

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks for the link. It all makes sense now (well most of it anyway). I now understand the psia measurements. They still seem a little high for a stock engine. Can you do 12 psig on a stock 2vz-fe? What is the maximum psia before you have to do fuel delivery modifications? Also at what point would you have to go to forged pistons and shot peened rods? Or any other modifications that I may have missed?

Thanks,

Neil

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to any of those questions at the end of the day. Nobody's done it AFAIK. (Don't shot peen stock rods. Buy real manly rods from another engine, or custom made ones & have them machined to fit. It'll be way stronger.)

Get something that will move the mass you want @ a pIIc that is reasonable. You really get into a personal opinion discussion more than anything else.

In my opinion, when you're talking about making the same amount of horsepower across turbos that both can achive the goal. The one that does it at 10psi will kick the pants off the one that does it at 5psi.

The reason is that the turbo @ 10psi is almost a given that it'll be smaller & more responsive. On the other hand, the 5psi turbo is almost always going to be more effecient & obviously has more head-room for the future.

Like I said, it's nothing more than personal opinion. Unless you just go with something that is completely unsuited for what you're after there isn't much of a right / wrong answer.

Some are just better answers on some conditions.

• 4 weeks later...

Some intersting points to add. The v6's all use the 41psi pressure regulator. The injectors are all rated @ 41psi.

The fuel pressure regulator only runs 41psi when the vacuum supply is disconnected!!!

Otherwise the working pressure runs between 33-37psi.

The stock FPR when fed boost will rise @ a 1:1 ratio with boost for a few psi (IDK how many, maybe 10-15 until it has no room to move. Remember a 1:1 ratio doesn't add fuel, it simply keep fuel pressure up with pressure in the manifold, keeping you from loosing flow under boost.)

The 2vz-fe group fires it's injectors in 3 set's of 2 injectors. Anything later is sequential (One at a time). So I would over fuel more than normal to keep the fuel distrobution even.

The 3vz-fe is cool, it's the only Toyota engine with air-assisted injectors. :)