98 Ls400 Cam Belt Issue?

Lexuslvr

I tried starting my 98 LS400 with 73000 miles. Car started right up but started clacking like lifter noise. I shut it down within 5 seconds.

Checked oil, etc., tried again. Hard cranking. Gave up, and determined it seems to be the timing belt-probably slipped a tooth. (Way before the 90000 mile recommendation to replace)

Has anyone else had this issue, and is there a tutorial somewhere I can review to see if I want to repair it myself? The garage the car is sitting in is at the bottom of a hill, and it will be difficult to pull it up the hill or put it on a flatbed.

Thanks in advance!!

Frustrated in Alabama

Lexuslvr, I really doubt that you have an issue with your belt. I have also once experienced a "rough" cold start where there was significant lifter/clanking noise which went away shortly and has never reoccurred (mine is also a 98 LS and this happened with 97K miles on the odo). My theory is that the oil drain back valve inside the oil filter (this was a Lexus OEM filter with regular 5-30 oil) got stuck and allowed the oil to flow back therefore leading to a "dry" start until the oil started flowing again. I now have 109K miles on my vehicle with the OEM timing belt and water pump! From what I have researched the possibility of timing belt failure on these vehicles is very very rare. In fact it only occurs if your water pump leaks and then seizes. Let us know what you find. By the way on my previous vehicle a GS300, the belt and pump were replaced for the first time at 160K miles and the belt was in excellent condition and the pump was still not leaking!!

I should be so lucky!

I am using a Wal-Mart filter, although I have always used a PF53 AC filter previously. Just couldn't get to one....I think the PF53 has a better anti-drainback.

The engine was LOUD.......after I shut it off, it is cranking slowly, which leads me to believe either the engine is out of time, or something has seized....like a water pump bearing (no leaking noticed)

I will pull the cam belt covers and observe as soon as I get back from the Gulf of Mexico where I am cleaning up hurricane damage.

One thing after another.....

THANK YOU for the reply......

Tom

Sounds just like what my '99 did once...

It happened on a Saturday morning, so we left it sitting in the garage 'till Monday and used our other car. On Monday, I called the dealer, and they said to try starting it again. I did, and after starting somewhat slowly, it ran fine, and without noise. I took it in to the dealer and they said all was fine, that it might have been a carbon deposit that got loose and rattled around in the cylinder until it burnt up. This doesn't seem very likely to me, but the problem has not come back in 15,000 miles since.

Perplexing, but it's a car, and only a car, so I make myself not worry about something that's a mystery.

Bob

Same as the other Bob... I have a '91 which has done about three times in the 7 years that I've owned it. It is a carbon buildup. The first time I had it towed because it sounded like the engine was running with no oil. Lots of noise, really rough, black smoke. It's happened two more times since and now I just let it run for 2-3 mins and it goes completely away. I'm sure that's the case with yours...

Bob

If you take apart the Throttle body and clean it that will help.