Front Brake Pads Sc 400

pinkpearl

Can anyone tell me what type of pads should be on an 1995 SC400? Initially metallic pads were put on but they screamed terribly. They have now changed out the metallic pads to ones that leave alot of brake dust on the wheels. They are squeaking intermittently but before I confronted them I wanted some info on the types of pads I should have. You would think they would replace with the same pads that were on the car. Anyone have any thoughts? THANKS!

Can anyone tell me what type of pads should be on an 1995 SC400?  Initially metallic pads were put on but they screamed terribly.  They have now changed out the metallic pads to ones that leave alot of brake dust on the wheels.  They are squeaking intermittently but before I confronted them I wanted some info on the types of pads I should have.  You would think they would replace with the same pads that were on the car.  Anyone have any thoughts?   THANKS!

Use OEM pads and don't forget to get new shims. ;) For a 95- front pads #04465-24021 rear#04466-30030 Shims for the front#044945-14010 and rear #044946-24010 This will cure your noise and dust problems.:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me what type of pads should be on an 1995 SC400?  Initially metallic pads were put on but they screamed terribly.  They have now changed out the metallic pads to ones that leave alot of brake dust on the wheels.  They are squeaking intermittently but before I confronted them I wanted some info on the types of pads I should have.  You would think they would replace with the same pads that were on the car.  Anyone have any thoughts?  THANKS!

Thanks dcfish - i have since had the lexus pads put on the car and that helped some but they did not do the shims. can you give me a little more info on what the shims do and where they are located? i mentioned it to my guy but he was not aware they needed to be changed. i still have a little squeal but nothing like before. thanks again for your help!

Shims are metal plates that sit between the pad and the caliper itself. Think of it, as a metal gasket.

I don't usually replace the shims. It just needs to be cleaned off prior to re-installation.

Did they use anti-squeal when they were installing the new brake pad? Anti-squeal is applied to the back of the brake pad, then I install the shim,...after which I put another light coat of anti-squeal on top of that.

Can anyone tell me what type of pads should be on an 1995 SC400?  Initially metallic pads were put on but they screamed terribly.  They have now changed out the metallic pads to ones that leave alot of brake dust on the wheels.  They are squeaking intermittently but before I confronted them I wanted some info on the types of pads I should have.  You would think they would replace with the same pads that were on the car.  Anyone have any thoughts?   THANKS!

Thanks dcfish - i have since had the lexus pads put on the car and that helped some but they did not do the shims. can you give me a little more info on what the shims do and where they are located? i mentioned it to my guy but he was not aware they needed to be changed. i still have a little squeal but nothing like before. thanks again for your help!

I have no idea if they used anti squeal or not. Good to know to ask. I can now ask them if they wiped the shims off. which i kinda think they didnt. thanks for the info! B)

Shims are metal plates that sit between the pad and the caliper itself.  Think of it, as a metal gasket. 

I don't usually replace the shims.  It just needs to be cleaned off prior to re-installation. 

Did they use anti-squeal when they were installing the new brake pad?  Anti-squeal is applied to the back of the brake pad, then I install the shim,...after which I put another light coat of anti-squeal on top of that.

Definetly use the anti-squeal and only replace the shims if needed. The first time I changed my pads The shims were completely shot, So I always inspect them and replace as needed.