Carbon In Vacuum Hoses - Must Replace?! $775?!

Wulf

My check engine light came on last night, I had it inspected today. Looks like it may cost $775. Is this repair absolutely necessary - are there any other options?

They retrieved the code from the ECU - code PO441/Evap. system. Upon inspection found carbon from vapor canister in vacuum hoses of purge control valve. They say it needs purge valve, vacuum switch and canister replacement. Approximately $775.

The check engine light is still on. I under stand this is most likely from overfilling the gas tank. If I do not take care of this issue carbon could get into the engine. Also it would fail if I go to have the emissions tested.

ARE THERE ANY OTHER OPTIONS THAN SPENDING $775?

Thanks! (1997 ES300 in great shape)

never heard of a system being tripped from carbon in the lines. Maybe I'm mis-informed.

Personally, I would be hitting up a junkyard for a Toyota EVAP canister. Find one from a 1mz-fe Camry, Avalon, Highlander, RX 300. I would bet any working evap canister would work.

What you need to note is it's really a pain in the !Removed! to get to them hah! Not too bad tho. ;)

I'd have a go at replacing or cleaning out the hoses that you can access and see if that clears it up first.  It really doesn't take much to plug one.  Also make sure the hoses are properly attached at the canister and at the intake.

Good ideas!

I was told once the membrane has ruptured (from over fueling), carbon will eventually be blown into the engine. Is that true? What is the likelyhood and how much damage will that cause?

Is it worth seeing if it cleans itself out after driving it a few thousand miles? The check engine light has not been reset - is that something a novice can do?

The used canister is a great idea except I don't even know where the canister is at this point. Do I need to be a master mechanic for this repair?

Thanks for your help!

It won't hurt anything.

The engine continually runs with large amounts of carbon running through it from the EGR.

What year ES?

how many miles on your ES? This sounds like something that may be covered by an extended federal warranty. Search for my old post!!! I had a similar problem - facing a $900 repair bill. Dealer claimed they weren't aware of the extended warranty, but Lexus HQ fixed me up and I paid nothing!!!

(I have a 97 es300. mileage was around 125K I think. warranty was extended to 150k miles!)

my old posts are still out there... link to epa is bad - try this one:

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/ca...caa/toyota.html

The evaporative emission control system warranty will be extended from the current two years or 24,000 miles to 14 years or 150,000 miles.

Hello MNJack,

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO ON THIS EXTENDED FEDERAL WARRANTY!

My 97 ES300 has just under 120,000 miles, almost exactly the same scenario as your ES300.

If you have any additional info could you please provide? I will try the link. I am very pleased!

Thanks again!

Wulf

Things are looking great. Dropped off my ES300 along with a print out of the notice. They are doing the work while I am driving a new Lexus - all for free! Caught them by surprise - didn't seem they were aware of the extended warranty.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 10 months later...

evap cannisters are very common on every vehicle toyota makes where the cannister is mounted below the fuel tank. people love to overfill their fuel tanks and this is the main reason for cannister failure.

typically if just p0441 comes up you might be able to replace vsv valve near the air cleaner box. if p0441 & p0446 come up, then its cannister replacement time and even then it might also need a vsv valve depending on how long it was driven with the cannister bad.

getting these parts at a salvage yard is a risky idea.

Thanks. I had the Purge Control Valve replaced, but the check engine light came back on within 8 hours. I'm guess that means they'll be replacing the canister as well now. I heard this means dropping the transaxle on the GS 400. Is this right?

Thanks,

Ari

Okay, what do I do when they've replaced the Evap Canister, Purge Control Valve and the Check Engine light comes on within hours again with the same codes? Could it be something simple? Faulty Sensor? Old Gas Cap? I've spent $1100 so far and don't feel like spending $3,000 on a new computer - something they've already mentioned.

Any and all help would be appreciated...

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, what do I do when they've replaced the Evap Canister, Purge Control Valve and the Check Engine light comes on within hours again with the same codes? Could it be something simple? Faulty Sensor? Old Gas Cap? I've spent $1100 so far and don't feel like spending $3,000 on a new computer - something they've already mentioned.

Any and all help would be appreciated...

what's your year, model and the exact codes?

what's your year, model and the exact codes?

No worries. After replacing nearly the entire evaporation system, the light is now off. Expensive way to go about it, but it's off.

It is a GS400, 1998. Can't remember the code right now, but it supposably says the Evaportation System is messed up.

Bottom line - the lights off :D

Thanks anyway.