Radio Buttons

mh6

Greetings all,

my question is about the radio buttons on my 99 RX300.

I have notice that it seems originally there was a green tint film or transparent paint that was in the small recessed areas of the the radio buttons (1-6 pre select buttons...up top), at night I noticed a very faint sign of this on 2 of the buttons....it seems that it may have worn off the others ?

If this is the case any suggestions how to reapply or is button replacement needed ?

Also the volume control knob has a white stripe on it, is it suppose to be ullminated as well ?

I appreciate your time and effort :cheers:

Unfortunately i can't help you concerning the 1-6 radio buttons since the the rx300 i have now has nav  :(

but that little white line on the radio control knob does NOT, and never did light up at all. I do think it should anyway..

I don't know about anyone else but i'm still a little bit confused about what you mean with the 1-6 radio buttons (which i uderstand LOL)...

Do you mean that on ONLY 2 of the buttons you can see green light at night? Therefore the other 4 buttons do NOT light up green? Sorry i'm a little slow LOL :wacko:

So about the confusion.....let me see if I can explain a little better.

The preset radio station buttons which also act as controls for some cd functions, located just below the lcd screen.

After close inspection they have a small recessed area on the front of the buttons, now these buttons are only about 1/4 high, which seems to have had a green film, tint, paint ...something along those lines that when the lights are on at night, I can see a very faint remainder of whats left of this material on 2 of the buttons and it seems to be gone the others or almost gone...just little remnants remain.

I beleive when new, these areas illuminated green for fast acquisition of the button at night. I would like restore that if possiable.

As for the white stripe it does seem like it would illuminated doesnt it.

Hope this helps :D

The preset radio station buttons which also act as controls for some cd functions, located just below the lcd screen.

After close inspection they have a small recessed area on the front of the buttons, now these buttons are only about 1/4 high, which seems to have had a green film, tint, paint ...something along those lines that when the lights are on at night, I can see a very faint remainder of whats left of this material on 2 of the buttons and it seems to be gone the others or almost gone...just little remnants remain.

I beleive when new, these areas illuminated green for fast acquisition of the button at night. I would like restore that if possiable.

Hope this helps  :D

yes that does help ;) I think i understand now.

On those buttons under the LCD screen, see the tiny rectangles (recessed areas) on each of those buttons? Those are the only areas that should light up green at night. Not the WHOLE button, just that little recessed area should be green at night. Right?

The way the buttons are made (if i remember correctly from my 99 rx300) is that at first, each whole button is clear plastic. Then, they paint, black paint, on the whole area of each button EXCEPT for that recessed area, and the bottom which you can't see...At night, a bulb (or bulb(s)) turn on, shine light through the bottom of each button, and ONLY pass through that little recessed area on each button. Light can't pass through the black paint... So if a bulb is out, more than one of those buttons will not light up (one bulb lights up more that one button). Some of the buttons "may" still light up a tiny bit even though the main bulb is out because other bulbs are lit in the center console....

This is what i think has happened to you. It's not that there is a missing green film in these recessed areas of the buttons, it's that the light source has quit on you (bulbs).

these buttons work the same EXACT way as the window switches on the door. take a look...turn the car on, and you can see that they suddenly light up in the areas of the swtiches where it looks "foggy"

hope this helps a little? Am i missing something else?

Hope this helps  :D

yes that does help ;) I think i understand now.

On those buttons under the LCD screen, see the tiny rectangles (recessed areas) on each of those buttons? Those are the only areas that should light up green at night. Not the WHOLE button, just that little recessed area should be green at night. Right?

The way the buttons are made (if i remember correctly from my 99 rx300) is that at first, the whole button is clear plastic. Then, they paint, black paint, on the whole area of the button EXCEPT for that recessed area, and the bottom which you can't see...At night, a bulb (or bulb(s)) turn on, shine light through the bottom of each button, and ONLY pass through that little recessed area on each button. Light can't pass through the black paint... So if a bulb is out, more than one of those buttons will not light up (well at least not as bright). This is what i think has happened to you. It's not that there is a missing green film in these recessed areas of the buttons, it's that the light source has quit on you.

these buttons work the same EXACT way as the window switches on the door. take a look...turn the car on, and you can see that they suddenly light up in the areas of the swtiches where it looks "foggy"

hope this helps a little? Am i missing something else?

Yes this is the area I am talking about,,,,you got it :D

I shoud have said 8 buttons :lol:

yes I was just getting ready to write that the window buttons look as I think they should look :)

Ok ....cool....that takes me down another road to look into.

I will see if I can get the bulbs for those areas.

Hey thanks for your help :cheers:

Yay LOL

Ok then next thing you need to do is find where the bulbs are, and what kind they are...do you have the owners manual they "might" be listed in there?

I'll look online for you to see if i can find them...I'm not sure either how hard it will be to pull the center console apart. oh well i'm sure it's possible ;)

By any chance is ur rx under warranty of any kind? Probably not it's a 99...

From what i can find about taking the conter console out, is that isn't either a real pain, or totally impossible :angry:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...wtopic=5840&hl=

sounds like the whole console (radio - LCD screen) is built in, and is attached from BEHIND the WHOLLLEEEE dashboard from one side of the car to the other??

It figures it would be a pain in the rear ...lol  :)

And i'm at work too don't tell anyone LOL. No one has a clue what i'm doing <_<

In my owners manual (2003 rx300) page 322 states light bulb replacements. And of course the ones for the center console lights are not even listed LOL

Maybe your manual has it...

if not, you can call your dealer and they might be able to give you that information..

good luck with this new project!! :) Ask if you have any more questions!