Installed Reman Ps Pump And Repaired Alt.

SRK

I have been monitoring a leaky power steering pump the last year or so, and I finally decided to repair it. I bought a Maval (out of Ohio I think) brand rebuild and yanked the pump and the alternator. The alternator had some oil on it, not a lot, but I took it to a local automotive electrical shop I have dealt with over the years through my business, and they bench tested it. They found the brushes had been wet with oil, and had worn down quite a bit. Otherwise they said the alternator was perfect, and also mentioned that the Denso products are "just beautiful and reliable". They charged me $45.00 parts and labour. The pump went on easily, and so did the alternator. I stuck a new air filter in at the same time. Car runs great, and total cost was under $500.00. Dealer would have got about $1500.00 as they don't use reman or local rebuilts. Took about three and one half hours for me the first time through. So far no leaks!

Good to hear you got everything working. How hard was it to remove the PS pump? My repair manual says you can just remove the pump but I find that hard to believe. What all did you need to take out to get it?

The pulley has to come off in order to be able to rotate the pump up and away. I also had to remove the right side t-belt cover to get room around the ABS unit. With the alternator out undoing the high pressure line banjo bolt was easy. So it was a lot of parts to re and re, but nothing too tough.

The manual is quite humourous. It states the obvious only. For the alternator, it says "Remove two connectors. Remove bolt and nut. Remove alternator." It does not mention how tight it is to slide by the high pressure hose, nor does it mention that the connector is best seen before being yanked out, and that the trans cooler hose has to be released from its mounts to give sufficient room.

The pump comes out the top, the alt the bottom.

yeah my power steering pump is leaking pretty bad. it already killed my alternator and i think one of my main oxygen sensors. the easiest way to remove the alternator is to disconnect the two connectors and then rotate it upward, meaning that the pulley points up then slide it between the hoses and line that are under it. hey thanks for the info on the success of the new PS pump. i am going to change mine before i do the oxygen sensors. lexls i will try to get some photos for you

I have been monitoring a leaky power steering pump the last year or so, and I finally decided to repair it.  I bought a Maval (out of Ohio I think) brand rebuild and yanked the pump and the alternator.  The alternator had some oil on it, not a lot, but I took it to a local automotive electrical shop I have dealt with over the years through my business, and they bench tested it.  They found the brushes had been wet with oil, and had worn down quite a bit.  Otherwise they said the alternator was perfect, and also mentioned that the Denso products are "just beautiful and reliable".  They charged me $45.00 parts and labour.  The pump went on easily, and so did the alternator.  I stuck a new air filter in at the same time.  Car runs great, and total cost was under $500.00.  Dealer would have got about $1500.00 as they don't use reman or local rebuilts.  Took about three and one half hours for me the first time through.  So far no leaks!

If they didn't open the alternator so as to have a good look at the copper slip rings you might be looking at more alternator problems down the road.

In preparation for this procedure I purchased a PS overhaul kit and new slip ring brushes from Lexus of Bellevue. When I opened the back of the alternator (which you do not have to do to simply install new brushes) I discovered that the copper slip rings were worn down to the metal of the alternator mainshaft.

The brushes were oil soaked and worn but not worn so much that they wouldn't have lasted another 100,000 miles.

Denso has somehow and for some reason used very soft copper in the slip rings of this series alternator. The soft pressure formed graphite brushes should wear out long before the slip rings.