99 Rx300 - Crack In "front" Catalytic Converter

DFSguy

Greetings

I just took my 1999 RX300 into the shop to change the 2 drive belts (V-Ribbed and Drive (Pump)) and was informed that the “Front” Catalytic Converter has a crack in it . I definitely hear a slight exhaust type leak when the accelerator is depressed (also had some squeaking …. until the belts were replaced).

Dealer estimates $350 for the parts and 2 hours of labor, for a total of approx $550.

Anyone have any experience with cost and trying to change the CAT themselves?

Also … would be interested in a description on where the “front” CAT is physically located and any dismantling steps that I need to take to view the unit. As I understand there are two CAT Converters (one expensive $1000+ the other ~300-350). The one that has the crack is the less expensive unit.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Cat is an emssion item and should be covered under 8 year 80k emission warranty.

If you are out of warranty, talk to your local trusted muffler shop. they may be able to take a look at the crack. In most cases, weld it close instead of getting a new cat. Good luck

TunedRX300,

Thank you very much for your feedback. You were right in target!

The CAT Converter is one of the very few parts that fall under the EPA 8 years / 80,000 mile warranty. Luckily my 1999 only has 70,000.

I owe you one.

:cheers:

Cat is an emssion item and should be covered under 8 year 80k emission warranty.

If you are out of warranty, talk to your local trusted muffler shop. they may be able to take a look at the crack.  In most cases, weld it close instead of getting a new cat.  Good luck

Where can I find info about the 8 year 80K emmision warranty on my used RX.

If you have the owners manual, you'll find it there. If not, call Lexus Customer Service at 800-255-3987 and initiate a discussion concerning this matter with them. But be aware that they are notorious for attempting to avoid responsibility even for covered issues whenever possible.

Your cracked exhaust manifold may very well be covered through your vehicle's emission system warranty. Don't pay any out-of-pocket costs until you do the research and find out for sure.

my car is in a local shop, who has spoken with Lexus many times this week.

Will Lexus let other shops perform warranted services and cover the costs, or do they expect the car be brought to them for repair.

Where in the manual is it located, I don't have with me, it's in the car at the shop, but I can call them tomorrow to advise.

Thanks for your help.