Pwr/etc

PWR/ETC stands for Electronic Transmission Control; it raises the shift points to a higher RPM, and makes the transmission more prone to downshifting when you hit the accelerator. Try it- push the accelerator half down while already moving at say, 30 MPH, with the PWR button off. Then do the same thing, but with the power button on, and you'll be able to tell the transmission downshifts quicker; you might get a 4-2 downshift (PWR on) instead of a 4-3 downshift (PWR off). If you floor it, the transmission shifts at a higher point with PWR on, closer to redline.

ok i dont know ANYTHING about cars especially none of that downshifting i always hear about. if someone could explain what downshifting is.... also is there a difference between the pwr/etc?

lol would this be good for when i wanna race someone?

but i do want to know if its only safe to press the pwr and/or etc button when the car is stopped, or can it be pressed while the car is driving?

Hmm.

Well it's certainly OK to push the PWR button at anytime, wether youre moving or not, but not necessarily during acceleration, when you're pressing the gas pedal.

Downshifting is when the car's transmission changes to a lower gear. It shifts down, hence the word downshifting. :whistles: The car has a certain number of gears, each can only go so fast. 1st gear being the slowest, but most power available, to 4th or 5th where its ratio is set for going faster speeds comfortably.

Your takeoff will always be the same until you modify your car. If you have an automatic, try power braking (holding brake pedal while pushing gas pedal, you'll feel the car push against the brakes. Then release the brake and mash the gas.)

PWR/ECT will make the transmission shift at a later point, higher in the RPM's.

Something tells me this is a lost cause... <_<

• 2 weeks later...
so your first car is a lex.... hmmmm now why couldn't all parents be that nice.  Happy hunting my friend.  Treat it well

lol well its not like its a new car or anything.. its a 92... and i paid for half... but ya my parents did hook it up with the other half... I used to drive my mom's 300E... but this is the 1st car I actually own... and I'm lovin it so far.. it drives hella smooth