92 Es300 A/c Issues

texasmac

I have a 92' ES 300 which was charged 3 months ago. The car is not driven that often, but the A/C is used always during driving. Prior to the charging, the air was not blowing as cold as it should. I had driven the car recently and the car was blowing cold air. The car has sat for a month, until yesterday.

I tried engaging the A/C, but found that the Clutch was not engaging when cycling the A/C button several times. I removed the cap from the A/C relay in the engine compartment to observe the relay. I found the relay to very corroded. I engaged the relay manually and the clutch engaged, but the cold air did not return. I understand there is an additional fuse in the circuitry, but I did not test this point yet.

We have had issues with the system since day one of purchasing the car with 55k miles on it. We had an o-ring replaced several years ago, which seemed to work for the short term, but we have to recharge the system, it seems, every other summer.

Any ideas on what the issue may be?

Should I convert the system to R134a, or repair the hoses, replace the o-rings, seals, etc, and recharge with R12?

look in the faq, do the ac self diagnostic described there, there is also a couple of threads that list the ac codes and what they mean. If your code is the pressure switch code then all your refridgerant is gone so the clutch does not engage to protect the compressor. Let us know what you find

good luck

Any ideas on what the issue may be?

Should I convert the system to R134a, or repair the hoses, replace the o-rings, seals, etc, and recharge with R12?

I recently converted mine and I do not regret it. It blows fast, cold, and doesn't make a peep!

DO IT!

Snes

... Converted mine in early June. Heat - humidity has been wicked here since then. No problems. Takes a little longer to initially cool cabin (compared to before w/ R-12) on very hot days - a very minor issue, not a problem. Works perfectly otherwise.

Why spend your $$$ repairing your system & recharging w/ R-12 when you can convert to R-134a, new o-rings, oil, receiver/dryer, etc. for around the same cost? A real no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Go for it.

tck...