Transmission Question

yucaton_tom

Just inherited an LS400 from a relative with 190K miles. Excellent condition overall (all services done) but the transmission is in bad shape.

From what relatives have told me it started slipping a few months ago, got worse and worse, to the point that you could not move it. Sounds like serious neglect!

Monday I'm expecting my mechanic to tell me it needs a new one. I plan on keeping this car, so want to fix it right (for the next 190K).

My options:

- buy a rebuilt transmission from someone like www.rebuilt-auto-transmissions.com . They offer a great warranty.

- locate a used transmission from salvage yard LS400.

- open to any or your suggestions

One question: In searching for a used trannie, what years of transmissions are interchangeable? I would like to get a low mileage unit, so a 1996 - 1998 would be ideal if it will fit.

Thanks for your help.

you might as well look for a local store instead of buying a rebuild transmission online. gonna be too much on S&H:)

local shops offer warranty from 3-6 month depending on a shop

as to the year they all different.

from 90 to 91 there is one model

from 95 to 97 another one and for 98-2k there is a third one. the 2001-present is out of the question i presume:)