Pimping My Ride

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member and the new owner of a 1998 ES300 with 99k miles. It's in great condition but needs some minor maintenance, like new brakes, etc.. I have two questions.

1. Is there anything at this stage in the car's life that I should be particularly aware of that might need replacing or regular checking?

2. I would like to "pimp my ride" ie. add a few after market bells and wistles (auto dimming rear view mirror, side mirrors with turn signal, new radio and CD changer, etc...) and I was wondering where is the best place online (or in my town - Philly) to begin my search? And are there any sites that are particularly good or especially bad that I should look out for when beginning?

Thanks for the forum and and for any help that anyone here can provide. BTW, if anyone here knows of a good place to go in Philly to have some of this work done (non-mechanical stuff)...I would appredicate a good reference.

Thanks Again,

Philly Lexus Owner :-)

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member and the new owner of a 1998 ES300 with 99k miles.  It's in great condition but needs some minor maintenance, like new brakes, etc..  I have two questions. 

1.  Is there anything at this stage in the car's life that I should be particularly aware of that might need replacing or regular checking?

2.  I would like to "pimp my ride" ie. add a few after market bells and wistles (auto dimming rear view mirror, side mirrors with turn signal, new radio and CD changer, etc...) and I was wondering where is the best place online (or in my town - Philly) to begin my search?  And are there any sites that are particularly good or especially bad that I should look out for when beginning? 

Thanks for the forum and and for any help that anyone here can provide.  BTW, if anyone here knows of a good place to go in Philly to have some of this work done (non-mechanical stuff)...I would appredicate a good reference.

Thanks Again,

Philly Lexus Owner  :-)

You might be shocked at the price of some of these upgrades, like dimming rear view mirrors and side mirrors with turn signals. They will run into 100's of bucks.

This is just to make you aware. :)

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member and the new owner of a 1998 ES300 with 99k miles.  It's in great condition but needs some minor maintenance, like new brakes, etc..  I have two questions. 

1.  Is there anything at this stage in the car's life that I should be particularly aware of that might need replacing or regular checking?

2.  I would like to "pimp my ride" ie. add a few after market bells and wistles (auto dimming rear view mirror, side mirrors with turn signal, new radio and CD changer, etc...) and I was wondering where is the best place online (or in my town - Philly) to begin my search?  And are there any sites that are particularly good or especially bad that I should look out for when beginning? 

Thanks for the forum and and for any help that anyone here can provide.  BTW, if anyone here knows of a good place to go in Philly to have some of this work done (non-mechanical stuff)...I would appredicate a good reference.

Thanks Again,

Philly Lexus Owner  :-)

u dont have a changer?? damn i thougth all of them did, i have a 6 disk in the glove box. ebay....

The most important item I would have looked at is whether or not the timing belt & water pump have been replaced.  They are scheduled at 90k miles.  B)

:cheers:

How can you tell if the water pump or timing belt has been replaced?

Thanks for all of the advice. I will defintely do the MUSTS (timing chain (this should be BELT), water pump, brakes, etc..) BEFORE I take care of the WOULD LIKE TO HAVES. :-) And as I have already seen some of the prices of the things I would like, I am more prepared to pay extra for some of the goodies. This is my first time upgrading a car, so I'm very interested in everyone's experience with the same. Suggestions for what to do and what to stay away from are MORE THAN welcome!

Thanks,

Philly Lexus Owner. :-)

Thanks for all of the advice.  I will defintely do the MUSTS (timing chain, water pump, brakes, etc..) BEFORE I take care of the WOULD LIKE TO HAVES. :-)  And as I have already seen some of the prices of the things I would like, I am more prepared to pay extra for some of the goodies.  This is my first time upgrading a car, so I'm very interested in everyone's experience with the same.  Suggestions for what to do and what to stay away from are MORE THAN welcome!

Thanks,

Philly Lexus Owner. :-)

Timing belt bud, not timing chain. ;) Get the car in mechanically sound condition first & then work on the 'would like to have's'. B)

:cheers: