Dealer Service Depts

leot

Why is it that every Lexus dealer wants to enhance scheduled service and then some. Lexus suggested maintenence is pretty clear, but the dealers want to change fluids long before the book suggests, want to do a "tuneup" at 60,000 miles when it isn't due till 90,000 or later by the book. When I ask for scheduled items only I get a look of disdain and pain and have a real heck of a time getting a price on the scheduled items only.

Because they want to make money ;)

Nobody knows how to service the car as well as Lexus, do what they say and nothing more.

My suggestion is find a good independent mechanic and let them do the work.

Because they want to make money ;)

Nobody knows how to service the car as well as Lexus, do what they say and nothing more.

My suggestion is find a good independent mechanic and let them do the work.

I agree & that's exactly what I do & have saved a ton of $$$ since I bought my ES. Stuff like the TB & WP however I will let the dealer replace just in case, but I will still shop around for prices. ;)

:cheers:

Ask for the service manager or the general manager and let him or her know how you feel. Better yet just ask for another service writer. Remember the service writer usually gets up to 5% of your total bill. That's how they get paid. Like a waiter trying to up your bill selling you desserts and drinks. Sorry but they dont make much money just doing what you come in for. Its all about the upsells. Find a Lexus mechanic on the outside of the dealer network if your not willing to feed the big machine. Who do you think pays for those big fancy buildings etc. On a LS400 really all you have to do is replace the fluids, change the air filter (every 12 to 15000 miles and do the brakes, plugs, timing belt and serp belt when needed. Most of the schedules are just checks (that means you pay them for nothing). There are a few other items I missed but not many. I was a dealership mechanic for 25 years and I know the game as good as anybody. I played it every day. Its your money, dont be ashamed to tell them how much of it your willing to spend with them.