1998 Ls400

Qafas

Hi everyone,

I just sold my 91 LS400, and am looking to buy a 98-00 model. No luck so far finding a decent car, except this one. Please take a look at the ad and comment on whether or not this seems like a decent buy. I plan to make the 3 hour drive tommorrow to check the car out.

I have read the layman's guide, and will watch out for the things mentioned therein. If there are any other issues that I should especially watch out for, please do let me know.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/view/vde...ar_id=180004002

Thank you

AJ

carfax looks clean, one owner, private registration, in Ill. Looks like it's been for sale though for quite a while. Makes me curious why? Price doesn't seem to be out of line.

Date:

Mileage Reading:

Source:

General Comments:

09/24/1997 NICB

Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original

dealer

10/15/1997 Illinois

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Highland Park, IL

Registered as

personal vehicle

10/29/1997 25 Illinois

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Highland Park, IL

Title #T7302511024

Title issued or updated

First owner reported

05/05/2000 21,491 Service Facility

Vehicle serviced

Lubed oil and filter changed

08/31/2000 21,621 Illinois

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Barrington, IL

Title #T0244258023

Title or registration issued

Title issued or updated

02/24/2003 45,000 Illinois

Inspection Station

Skokie, IL

Passed emissions inspection

01/28/2005 60,167 Auto Auction

Sold at auction

in Indiana

Listed as

a dealer vehicle

02/18/2005 60,171 Auto Auction

Sold at auction

in Indiana

Listed as

a dealer vehicle

03/01/2005 62,777 Auto Auction

Sold at auction

in Pacific Region

Listed as

a dealer vehicle

By the way, that car is in California, and you're in Kansas City. 3 hour drive? How fast do you drive man? :cheers:

Well, the KBB retail value for the dealers ZIP code is $22,235 although I found the KYB values to be way high when I bought my 00 LS from a small dealer.

It might be a good deal if it has a documented maintenance record, the low miles can be verified, and if the car is in good shape. Has the 60K service been performed?

It is odd that the photos are dated March 05 - why hasn't this car been sold before now?

I don't see HID headlights on the option list but I suspect it has them since the car was ordered with heated seats, chrome wheels, etc. It does not have the optional wood/leather steering wheel and gearshift - I think the all leather wheel is more comfortable that my wood/leather one. Verify the condition of the chrome wheels - expensive to replate.

I think I can see a sunroof in the photo which is good although I've only seen a couple without one. Here is a summary of how the 98 LS was offered: http://www.lexusjax.com/shared/shared/cpo_...00/ls40098.html

Best of luck!

Thanks for the replies guys...and a special thanks to nc211. I had no idea that the car has been on sale for that long....does make me suspicious. But, I think I'll check it out anyway. If everything looks well, perhaps I'll be able to get an even better deal since it has not sold for such a long time.

P.S. - I now live in Sacramento, CA...just updated my profile. :)