Got New Tires - Falken 512 Ziex

flyguyco

Bought new tires for my 2003 ES300 yesterday @ Discount Tire Co for $343 drive out, which was $68, plus $10 installation and $2 disposal per tire + tax.

My first impressions are:

1.) stiffer ride vs my OEM Toyo Proxes J33's going slow on bumpy roads

2.) steering shudder during hard braking on bumpy roads

3.) extremely smooth ride on highway

4.) nice traction on wet roads

5.) excellent grip on twisty turns

6.) lower road noise vs OEM

All in all I'm very happy with my purchase and will probably get them for my 2003 RX300 when it's time to change. I'm going to the dealer next week to ask about the shudder during braking - might be my brakes and not the tires.

My Toyo Proxes J33's only had 26,000 miles on them, and they were at 1/16th tread. I wanted to try some Toyo TPT's since onlinetires.com had them for only $82, but figured it would be too much of a hassle if I needed to use the road hazard.

Bought new tires for my 2003 ES300 yesterday @ Discount Tire Co for $343 drive out, which was $68, plus $10 installation and $2 disposal per tire + tax.

My first impressions are:

1.) stiffer ride vs my OEM Toyo Proxes J33's going slow on bumpy roads

2.) steering shudder during hard braking on bumpy roads

3.) extremely smooth ride on highway

4.) nice traction on wet roads

5.) excellent grip on twisty turns

6.) lower road noise vs OEM

All in all I'm very happy with my purchase and will probably get them for my 2003 RX300 when it's time to change. I'm going to the dealer next week to ask about the shudder during braking - might be my brakes and not the tires.

My Toyo Proxes J33's only had 26,000 miles on them, and they were at 1/16th tread. I wanted to try some Toyo TPT's since onlinetires.com had them for only $82, but figured it would be too much of a hassle if I needed to use the road hazard.

Did you get a 4 wheel alignment when you had the tire installed?

:cheers:

I have the stock size on the 15's that came with 92's

they cranked the pressure when they installed them (something just above 40psi)

felt every piece of tar on the ground <_<

reduced it to the manual suggested 26psi, smooth ride but the edges of the front tires wore down way to fast after 15,000 km

rotated front to back put the fronts up to 33 and the rear around 30

I have the stock size on the 15's that came with 92's

they cranked the pressure when they installed them (something just above 40psi)

felt every piece of tar on the ground <_<

reduced it to the manual suggested 26psi, smooth ride but the edges of the front tires wore down way to fast after 15,000 km

rotated front to back put the fronts up to 33 and the rear around 30

I leave all for on mine at roughly 32 - 33 psi. ;)

Did you get a 4 wheel alignment when you had the tire installed? 

not yet - i need to make an appointment for my 25K service (have 26,200 miles odometer) for next week. they also need to repair the auto headlamp sensor as it doesn't switch on the headlamps when dark, and have them check my steering rack & brakes for the shudder

After that is all done (4 wheel alignment included) let us know how your car feels. It should be a big improvement. B) Good choice in tires......one of the best overall values you can get in a performance all season! ;)

• 4 months later...

After that is all done (4 wheel alignment included) let us know how your car feels. It should be a big improvement. B) Good choice in tires......one of the best overall values you can get in a performance all season! ;)

new tires means wheel alignment? I see people asking about wheel alignments ,but when is this necissary?

new tires means wheel alignment? I see people asking about wheel alignments ,but when is this necissary?

I always get a 4 wheel alignment when I get a new set of tires installed. I don't hit curbs & such & avoid nasty potholes the best I can. It just ensures good tire wear....especially since one is investing a fair chunk of change in a new set of tires......a 4 wheel alignment is about $60.00 or in that area. ;)

I always get a 4 wheel alignment when I get a new set of tires installed. I don't hit curbs & such & avoid nasty potholes the best I can. It just ensures good tire wear....especially since one is investing a fair chunk of change in a new set of tires......a 4 wheel alignment is about $60.00 or in that area. ;)

good to know thanks, I switch out wheels in spring and then fall again but never do an alignment unless i see a pulling or problem,so good to know thanks lexus. :cheers:

good to know thanks, I switch out wheels in spring and then fall again but never do an alignment unless i see a pulling or problem,so good to know thanks lexus. :cheers:

If your using 2 sets of wheels & tires during the year & not hitting bad potholes or curbs I think your should be fine as long (like you mentioned) as you don't notice any pulling or uneven wear. I usually buy a high mileage A/S tire (Triple Treads) that will last for years so I always do the 4 wheel alignment when I get a tire like that installed, but don't do it again until the next set........some advise getting an alignment once a year regardless, but personally I feel that is overkill & money wasted. B)