Brake Controller On Rx300 - Help

pbuck

I want to install a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller on my 2000 Rx, and one wire needs to connect to the brake pedal switch. There seems to be a cylindrical device connected to the brake pedal with several wires connecting to it. Is that the switch?

Which wire is the one which is always on when the brake pedal is depressed?

I assume there are more than two wires because this device may also be a pedal pressure sensor for the ABS. In which case, should I connect instead to the brake light wire at the back of the vehicle?

Having seen replies to a similar but RX330 post, I expect I'll get replies which say I shouldn't be towing a pop-up camping trailer needing electric brakes with an Rx. I know this is not the best tow vehicle for that purpose, but the trailer weighs less than 2500lbs which is way under the 3500lb limit. I have seen posts on RV forums where people have towed this trailer with a Highlander for years with no problems - and I want the stability the controller gives when braking.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't help you much but I am interested in how this works out?  I want to add a brake controller to my 99 RX300, so any info on your experience would be appreciated.

If you have a voltmeter you can check which line is hot (12v) all the time. The other line is the line you want to hook the controller to. By the way that is a excellent brake controller. I am using the same on my Ford Truck and it is truely the best I have ever used.