AUX input for MP3 player install...any ideas????

Anyone know of a backdoor install technique for getting an AUX input into a 2000 GS400 NAV/Stereo system? I have an indash-style 10GB Rio MP3 Carplayer with AUX out I'd like to install into my new GS400.

I hate to have to sell it and go with a portable unit with a cassette adapter, but will have to pursue that if this is not possible. I have checked out the forum at the riocar.org website with a lot of "it's impossible" with Lexus, but for $$$ a stereo installer can do it. If they can do it, then it can be done! Any ideas? Special custom adapters, splicing into CD changer, etc???

I would like to mount the unit in the glove box in place of the changer (the 10GB hard drive holds about 200 CD albums, so don't need the changer...)

Thanks!

Dr. Matt Rings 8O

Thanks for the idea!

I have heard of some sound degradation with FM modulators vs. cassette adapters, but it may be worth the cleaner install. I am still looking into some connector in the car with some potential for AUX input to the factory AMP.

Is it hard to get behind the GS400 NAV/Stereo to get to the antenna input for the FM modulator?

I've been discussing the CD adaptor with the UK distributor of Dension untis - he doens't think there will be one available for the GS with Nav - the market is not big enough.

The FM modulator works brilliantly in my car - the only issue is that the sound obviously goes through the FM channel pre-amp, and in Europe lexus has decided to clip the treble a touch in that channel (who knows why?)

• 2 years later...
I've been discussing the CD adaptor with the UK distributor of Dension untis - he doens't think there will be one available for the GS with Nav - the market is not big enough.

The FM modulator works brilliantly in my car - the only issue is that the sound obviously goes through the FM channel pre-amp, and in Europe lexus has decided to clip the treble a touch in that channel (who knows why?)

Finally went with a cassette adapter for my iPod (got rid of the Rio a couple of years ago), and it sounds MUCH clearer (higher treble) than the FM modulators I tried.

My XM Roady2 sounds very good as well, and a lot better through the cassette adapter than its built-in FM modulator.

FM stations have a VERY rapid frequency cut-off after 16Khz, killing those really high trebles... so it can sound dampened or muted through the FM receiver.

I'm not too happy about all the wiring, but I've got them hidden as much as possible by tucking the excess in under the console edge, etc. so it's not too noticeable.

Doc Rings