Code Scanner

justintime

Hi. I live in Nashville, TN. Recently, someone in the forum advised me to check at our local Auto Parts stores for a free codes scan. My engine light recently came on in my 91 LS400 and I was advised that having the check engine light on results into stored code. However, I checked Auto Zones and Advanced Autos here and neither of them had a code scanner that could scan vehicles older than 1996. Could someone please help me so I don't have to pay the dealership an arm and a leg of labor of a 20 second job. If at all possible, please copy your response to me at justintime4uc@yahoo.com. Thanks!

The problem is that the OBD 1 plugs are different between makes, and I suppose that the chain stores can't be bothered with the various adapters needed. OBD2 standardized the connector and the numbers used to identify the various codes.

I think you connect the T to T1 terminals in the diagnositic connector and turn the key on. That will give you the two digit code, but as to the codes themselves, as SK says, do a search.