Taking Like 3 Seconds To Start Up...

1991LS400

Hey guys,

1) I just noticed recently (after trying to help someone jump their car) that when I turn my car on (anytime of the day at numerous hours) it takes about 3 seconds to start up and some of my bulbs in my climate control unit flicker on and off and sometimes just stay off and sometimes just stay on. I can "feel" that my car may not be charging up the way it should be. It's just a "feeling," I don't know why I feel like that but I do.

Could it be a battery? I have a Bosch battery, don't those last a long time? It's only been like a year and a half maybe since I bought it and I don't know if my alternator is maybe not working well...? I'm completely lost on why my car might be doing this.

2) Ever since it's been taking a while to start up my car I've also been noticing that no matter how hard I step on my gas pedal while I'm driving it just isn't accelerating properly. It's "holding back" on me.

Please help me...I really want to get my baby back up to par again.

P.S. I have a 1991 LS 400 (if you haven't already figured it out).

Check the basics first, has the fuel filter been replaced in the last 30K miles?

Check the fuel pressure regulator with a Mity Vac type pump and also inspect the vacuum line going to it for signs of cracking or being loose at the ends. There is the possibility of a fuel pump issue (although very unlikely). I don't think there is anything wrong with the battery however if your lights are dimming so much during cranking then this would indicate another issue related to the starter, it's drawing too much current which means it will soon need repalcement. Again I think your lack of power is related to a clogged fuel filter.

With regards to your concern that it's not charging, I would recommend that you remove the alternator and have it checked at a dependable shop (I prefer NAPA) and don't just go to one shop, have it checked at several shops as they tend to be inconsistent.

The first thing I would check would be the connections on the battery terminal.. When you jump a car they can get pretty hot and perhaps it is just a bad connection. It's free to do yourself so I'd start there.