2002 es300 transmission problems

I have a '02 es300 that the transmission is hesitating and shuddering intermittently. Two different dealers keep switching between their is a problem, but they don't have a solution and then they turn around and tell me that there is nothing wrong with the transmission. Apparently Lexus knows there is a problem because they have offered me $1100.00 to keep the car until a update becomes available in September. The best part is that a lexus service represenative (lexus not dealer) told me that they aren't even sure if this is going to solve the problem. Is there anybody else out there that is having these kind of problems?

• 7 months later...

I have searched that site, using their engine, and found nothing.

I did register a complaint with Lexus on www.Lexus.com. There reply was that the ECU learns the driver's style and blah blah blah.

I spoke with my dealer and they were ignorant to any problem in shift hesitation. I told him to get in my car and buckle up.

No recall, silent or announced, as of yet.

the service guy did conceed that with the new 5 speed auto, it may buck a little at 40 mph/2000 rpm when in D. It wants OD but other factors aren't allowing it. I found moving the shift to 4 clears it up.

This is stated in the manual too.

As for shifting hestiation when "stomping" it, I really haven't pressed the issue, cause I found it accelerates faster if you don't stomp it all the way. What's left of my ECU (gray matter between my ears can still learn too).

I guess not enough 2002 owners have pressed the issue. As long as it is under warranty, you could press the dealer to replace the ECU with that of a 2003 if possible.

steviej

• 3 months later...
I have searched that site, using their engine, and found nothing.

I did register a complaint with Lexus on www.Lexus.com. There reply was that the ECU learns the driver's style and blah blah blah.

I spoke with my dealer and they were ignorant to any problem in shift hesitation. I told him to get in my car and buckle up.

No recall, silent or announced, as of yet.

the service guy did conceed that with the new 5 speed auto, it may buck a little at 40 mph/2000 rpm when in D. It wants OD but other factors aren't allowing it. I found moving the shift to 4 clears it up.

This is stated in the manual too.

As for shifting hestiation when "stomping" it, I really haven't pressed the issue, cause I found it accelerates faster if you don't stomp it all the way. What's left of my ECU (gray matter between my ears can still learn too).

I guess not enough 2002 owners have pressed the issue. As long as it is under warranty, you could press the dealer to replace the ECU with that of a 2003 if possible.

steviej

It's to bad you haven't pressed the issue...settling for a $35,000 luxury car that bucks and lurches (at least, my 02 does) is a poor bargain. And I have seen many postings indicating that the 03 still has the problem.

I am extremely upset since we traded a very fine 98 ES300 for a car that acts more like a cheap Chevy Nova. And frankly, the dealer and Lexus are stonewalling this issue for many of us loyal buyers.

All ES300 owners who experience this very poor implementation of engine/transmission (mis)communication should press Lexus into responding with a solution or settlement.

I have a meeting with a Lexus field rep tomorrow but I expect nothing but frustration in getting them to address this problem.

Actually bummpr,

I continue to press the issue. You failed to dig deep enough in the threads of this forum. Check out the link below.

This thread is actually on page 3 of the active threads listed in the ES forum.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...7&t=1276&st=15&

I say it to you too, keep on your dealer.

ClubLexus.com has actually made this issue a sticky. They are aware of what is posted overther. I call my service manager each week to see if there is anything new. 1. this lets him know, I am not forgetting and 2. it nags him to do something. This weekend, I actually went by the dealership and put the service manager on the spot in front of other ES owners.

I call the hotline every other week to let them know I am still on them.

steviej

Actually bummpr,

I continue to press the issue. You failed to dig deep enough in the threads of this forum. Check out the link below.

This thread is actually on page 3 of the active threads listed in the ES forum.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...7&t=1276&st=15&

I say it to you too, keep on your dealer.

ClubLexus.com has actually made this issue a sticky. They are aware of what is posted overther. I call my service manager each week to see if there is anything new. 1. this lets him know, I am not forgetting and 2. it nags him to do something. This weekend, I actually went by the dealership and put the service manager on the spot in front of other ES owners.

I call the hotline every other week to let them know I am still on them.

steviej

Sorry if I offended...I can see that you have been an active participant on this issue. You have my admiration for continuing to get this serious problem resolved.

My appointment with the Lexus Rep was canceled inexplicably at the last minute...this was after I took a day of vacation to make this meeting. But as I indicated, I feel they will do nothing but try to passify and promise a future fix.

I will report back after the "test drive" later this week.

Carry on!

UPDATE 7/8/2003

I recieved a call today from my service manager. He was informed that the part:

#89666-33442 "Engine Computer" is infact being offered to owners of the Canadian version 2002-2003 ES as a no cost item under customer satisfaction guidelines. Lexus still stands by the fact that the tranny problem is not a defect.

He also assured me that a fix or a similar ECU release in the US is very very close. The problem is in fact that the product mentioned above will not allow "at this time" the car to meet ULEV guidelines and emission requirements.

I must say, I am impressed by the effort Lexus puts into customer satisfaction.

Soooo, if you are not satisfied with your tranny's shift logic or hesitations, report it to your dealer and go on record as reporting it. Report it to Lexus.com and/or 1-800-25-LEXUS cutomer service.

steviej