Passenger Door Power Lock Problem

phillyfan

I own a 99 RX 300 and just recently noted problems with the passenger door lock. I first noted that when locking the doors (with the remote) I would hear the doors lock but no longer heard the beep indicating doors were locked. Didn't figure much of it until recently noted that passenger front was not locking.

The passenger door will lock and unlock if using the key on that door only. Using the power door lock buttons (driver and passenger side) inside the car will not make the lock on passenger door move either. Moving the lock manually on the passenger door works fine and seems without resistence so I'm not sure why this will not rock back and forth with the power controls (especially since using the key on the passenger door still works).

If I eternally let my passenger door stay locked then when I lock doors with remote I hear the familiar beep (as all doors are locked). So driving back and forth to work by myself is not a problem but to let my wife in I have to manually unlock door now.

Any ideas would be great before I inquire with a Lexus dealer. I briefly looked at taking the door panel off to take a better look but I guess I got nervous to proceed further. I noted 4 screws (2 on bottem, 1 at door lock and 1 at handle). I also noted the plastic plugs on the sides. Is it as simple as taking out the screws and the plugs to remove panel. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I own a 99 RX 300 and just recently noted problems with the passenger door lock. I first noted that when locking the doors (with the remote) I would hear the doors lock but no longer heard the beep indicating doors were locked. Didn't figure much of it until recently noted that passenger front was not locking.

The passenger door will lock and unlock if using the key on that door only. Using the power door lock buttons (driver and passenger side) inside the car will not make the lock on passenger door move either. Moving the lock manually on the passenger door works fine and seems without resistence so I'm not sure why this will not rock back and forth with the power controls (especially since using the key on the passenger door still works).

If I eternally let my passenger door stay locked then when I lock doors with remote I hear the familiar beep (as all doors are locked). So driving back and forth to work by myself is not a problem but to let my wife in I have to manually unlock door now.

Any ideas would be great before I inquire with a Lexus dealer. I briefly looked at taking the door panel off to take a better look but I guess I got nervous to proceed further. I noted 4 screws (2 on bottem, 1 at door lock and 1 at handle). I also noted the plastic plugs on the sides. Is it as simple as taking out the screws and the plugs to remove panel. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like the lock motor is bad, mine did that on the drivers door and I had to replace the motor/linkage assembly, about $285 dollars for the drivers door.

Thanks

Sounds like the lock motor is bad, mine did that on the drivers door and I had to replace the motor/linkage assembly, about $285 dollars for the drivers door.

to remove door panel you will also have to pop the wood strip out of the door panel (real small screw driver under edge after putting some masking tape on the edge of wood) there are one or two screws under this piece as I remember. then it is a matter of using a putty knife under door panel carefully after removing any screws you find.

lenore,

Thanks for the information. Did you do the work yourself and the $285 reflects the cost of the replacement motor or was that the cost of a dealership repair. I guess I'll try getting the door panel off and maybe I'll be lucky and there's a loose connection there. The thing I don't understand is that the door will unlock with the key on that side but I think that is still an electronic unlocking and not a manual (meaning that the turning of the key is not directly causing the lock to open and close). To me that suggests that the motor must work to some capacity.

Thanks

lenore,

Thanks for the information.  Did you do the work yourself and the $285 reflects the cost of the replacement motor or was that the cost of a dealership repair.  I guess I'll try getting the door panel off and maybe I'll be lucky and there's a loose connection there.  The thing I don't understand is that the door will unlock with the key on that side but I think that is still an electronic unlocking and not a manual (meaning that the turning of the key is not directly causing the lock to open and close).  To me that suggests that the motor must work to some capacity.

Thanks

Unfortunately that was the price of the replacement motor, not counting any labor. by the way when you use the key you bypass the motor and are using a mechanical link to unlock the door. The price is high, but I tried to take the motor apart and repair, but was unsuccessful. I did the same thing on a honda and got it to work. It is a very weird motor, but of the type used in most newer cars. more like a solenoid, but they call it a motor. good luck.