Transmission Issues Lexus Rx300

teegee

HELPPPP!

My RX has 86k on it. I am the 2nd owner. I bought it in 2003 at 42k, have had all major service done at Lexus, since I have owned it. In the last few weeks on four separate occasions I have had a problem when the car is started (cold or not) and it is in park, I press on the break and push the button on the stick to release from Park to Reverse. The gear shifts into Reverse and the car rolls, like it is going to go into Reverse and then stops, and it won’t go into Reverse, even with some pressure on the gas. It takes about five minutes, going back and forth between Park and Reverse before it finally goes into Reverse. I have not had this issue in any other gear. I have just taken it to the Lexus dealer to have them look at the problem. After having the car for 3 days and not being able to replicate the issue, they were able to discern this morning that it is a problem with the transmission and it will need to be replaced. They are telling me that it is out of warranty at 70k but are willing to help with ½ the parts cost, bring my totally cost to just under $3k. My question, is does this sound like a whole transmission issue, I am I really in for a new transmission? Also, how long can I go (approximately) before it goes out? I just can’t fathom dropping $3k on a car that is only 5 years old. Please advise if anyone knows anything.

About all you can do is ask the dealer specifically what is wrong with the transmission and then get a second opinion from another dealer or Lexus specialty shop.  If you have the time and interest you could also download a Toyota auto trans diagnostic manual from http://techinfo.toyota.com/

Sounds like a Valve body problem, one of the fluid passages is hanging up, probably debris blocking the pistons. Lexus does not service the transmissions other than throwing a rebuilt in. They will change the valve body assembly, however if there is debris in there, something elsewhere in the tranny is probably breaking down. By the way the price is $4300 for a tranny, so half should be $2150. You could try a transmission flush and tranny filter change. but It will probably prolong the anguish. Your car should have been covered by Lexus, but they do not stand behind their product. Good Luck

Hi All

Am from St. Lucia in the Caribbean and have a 2000 Toyota Harrier 3000cc 4WD (97000 KM) (which is just like the RX300 AWD). I bought from Japan.

I have noticed and done the following:

1. Noticed and change dark trans fluid with initially Dextron III, which was my first mistake and a year later with ATF Type T-IV. The Filter was also "filled" with metal particles.

2.It does not backed down to third geared when OD is put off.

3. It Jerks irregularly in low speed.

4. Brake erratically with going down hill.

5. Now I hearing a strange humminig sound.

Its extremely expensive to change a transmission in the Caribbean. The cost no only includes shipping from the US but also 60 % customs duty here!

Its so sad that after spending so much to buyt that Jeep one have to spend on solving engeneering defects in so little time.

Am reading the forum and trying to see whether a change in Torque COnverter and a flush can do the trick for me.

Hi All

Am from St. Lucia in the Caribbean and have a 2000 Toyota Harrier 3000cc 4WD (97000 KM) (which is just like the RX300 AWD). I bought from Japan.

I have noticed and done the following:

1. Noticed and change dark trans fluid with initially Dextron III, which was my first mistake and a year later with ATF Type T-IV. The Filter was also "filled" with metal particles.

2.It does not backed down to third geared when OD is put off.

3. It Jerks irregularly in low speed.

4. Brake erratically with going down hill.

5. Now I hearing a strange humminig sound.

Its extremely expensive to change a transmission in the Caribbean. The cost no only includes shipping from the US but also 60 % customs duty here!

Its so sad that after spending so much to buyt that Jeep one have to spend on solving engeneering defects in so little time.

Am reading the forum and trying to see whether a change in Torque COnverter and a flush can do the trick for me.

sorry my friend, your transmission is probably bad. The damage is their with the metal in the filter.