How Do I Tell If My Car Has Clear Coat?

I tried to search the forums for this but could not find the answer. I have a 2002 LS430 in Midnight Pine Pearl (6S6)... that I am considering using Zaino Z2-PRO on. The Z2-Pro product description says that it's for clear coated finishes... anyone knows if my car has clear coated finish? :wacko:

Easy, its a clearcoat.

Lexus does have three colors with no clearcoat, Black Onyx, Red, and Yellow. If your car has a pearl coat which the Midnight Pine does (great color, BTW) it always has a clearcoat, its actually a "tri coat" with a color coat, a pearl coat, and a clear coat. You want the Z2.

My opinion though is you wont like the Z2 as much on the Midnight Pine because it will hide some of the depth of the color. Might want to try topping the Z2 with something like P21S Carnuaba or Pinnacle Souveran.

Easy, its a clearcoat.

Lexus does have three colors with no clearcoat, Black Onyx, Red, and Yellow. If your car has a pearl coat which the Midnight Pine does (great color, BTW) it always has a clearcoat, its actually a "tri coat" with a color coat, a pearl coat, and a clear coat. You want the Z2.

My opinion though is you wont like the Z2 as much on the Midnight Pine because it will hide some of the depth of the color. Might want to try topping the Z2 with something like P21S Carnuaba or Pinnacle Souveran.

Use the Z-8 Grand Finale Spay Seal and you will get the depth of the color big time. I was just amazed what difference it made after using Z-2 on my dark green SC 400. Just spray on and wipe off with a towel. Very easy and great results!

Flashjet

SW03ES: Thanks. I knew that was an easy question :-). I am looking into the Zaino products because I read that they last a lot longer than carnuaba wax (6 months vs about a week). I am trying to cut down on the amount of time I spend detailing my car. The wife already started to say that I am obsessed with the car... actually she said that I have become a slave to the car :chairshot:

I will listen to your advice and top off the Z2 with P21S Carnuaba or Pinnacle Souveran.

I have not had a chance to compare with a high quality carnuaba yet... I only did one detail since I got the car, using Meguiar's Carnuaba Wax (part 3 of 3 steps). I didn't have time to do step 1 and 2. I did do the claying. It looked good IMO but not as good as when I had my black ES300 done at the professional detail shop. The did something that gave it a really deep wet look that lasted for a few days. I want to replicate that. I hoping that the Z2/Z8 will do it. This time I will go through the whole process of paint cleaning, poslishing, Z2, then wax/Z8. I got myself a Porter Cable and really liked using it so far.

Flashjet: I was going to do exactly that (Z8 on top of Z2)... been reading about the Zaino products on the Autopia.org forums. I am going to buy the products today.

Have you compared the look to a high quality carnuaba?

The carnuaba waxes don't last long at all in the Texas summer heat. I have to park outside during a work day and the Texas sun and 100 degree heat kills the carnuaba waxes in no time. The polymers last much, much longer and now with the Z-8, the difference in depth of shine is gone between a good carnuaba wax and the polymer polish/sealants. Z-8 is a whole lot easier and faster to apply as well!

Flashjet

The polymers do last longer especially in the heat, but 6 months is a little bit of an exaggeration on the high end while a week is an exaggeration on the low end for a Carnuaba wax. A good carnuaba wax will last a month or so in a high heat environment.

The tradeoff with a true polymer like Zaino is:

1. Harder to hide imperfections, you need to polish all swirls out entirely vs being able to hide some with glazes etc

2. A more sterile plasticky look but thats a matter of tatse

One way to get the best of both worlds is to top the Zaino with a carnuaba.

• 5 weeks later...

I am considering a GS430 as my next ride but need to make a color choice. I like black onyx however, the black paint on my ES has been extremely difficult to maintain. Curious to know if anyone has the blue onyx and if so, how is the quality? Does it have clearcoat?

The blue is a tri coat, it has a base, pearl, and then a clearcoat.

Actually from what I've heard all Lexus black after 2003-2004 or so is clearcoated. Your 98 ES doesn't have a clear.

Lexus corporate verified that the 98-2003 black ES300's do not have clearcoat. This is the same case for the IS's and RX's; interestingly the LS and GS models have had clearcoat since 99'. Not sure about the other models.