Keeping Brake Dust Off The Wheels

I have got the paint looking fine. And have found that Zaino's Z-8 Grand Finale Spray seal is by far the best spray finish I have found. It took my car from looking good to looking GREAT with a shine that looks miles deep. :D

Sorry, that is not why I am writing this post. The wheels grab the brake dust and look sorry after just a day. I have the satin finish on the wheels and that is part of the problem. Is there some thing that I can put on the wheels that will keep the brake dust from adhearing to them? As it is, it really takes soap and water to clean them off. Using a dry towel to just try and wipe them clean only spreads the brake dust into the satin finish and looks worse.

I can keep the car paint looking great with a spray of Z-8 and towel to a great shine. But I have yet to find the quick and easy way to keep the wheels looking great with all the brake dust that gathers on the satin finish. Any ideas?

Thanks for any input.

Flashjet

Are you factory original (genuine Toyota) brake pads and rotors?  If not, that could be the source of your brake dust problem.

I don't know as I bought the car with 71,000 miles on it. When I do replace the brake pads, does it make that much difference whether or not it is Toyota brand pads? I didn't know it would make that much of a difference.

Thanks for the input.

Flashjet

You can always count on the quality of the genuine Toyota parts, but there are plenty of excellent quality aftermarket pads also.

The genuine Toyota pads do dust pretty heavily. Best way to make it easier to clean off? Use a good sealant (the Zaino will work) on the wheels. That will make the surface slick and make it easier to wipe away the dust.

You can always count on the quality of the genuine Toyota parts, but there are plenty of excellent quality aftermarket pads also.

The genuine Toyota pads do dust pretty heavily. Best way to make it easier to clean off? Use a good sealant (the Zaino will work) on the wheels. That will make the surface slick and make it easier to wipe away the dust.

SW03ES thanks for that. I just thought the Z-2 was for painted surfaces. Specifically, clearcoated painted surfaces. I had not thought of trying it on non-painted wheels.

Thanks again,

Flashjet

I have got the paint looking fine.  And have found that Zaino's Z-8 Grand Finale Spray seal is by far the best spray finish I have found.  It took my car from looking good to looking GREAT with a shine that looks miles deep. :D

Sorry, that is not why I am writing this post.  The wheels grab the brake dust and look sorry after just a day.  I have the satin finish on the wheels and that is part of the problem. Is there some thing that I can put on the wheels that will keep the brake dust from adhearing to them?  As it is, it really takes soap and water to clean them off.  Using a dry towel to just try and wipe them clean only spreads the brake dust into the satin finish and looks worse. 

I can keep the car paint looking great with a spray of Z-8 and towel to a great shine.  But I have yet to find the quick and easy way to keep the wheels looking great with all the brake dust that gathers on the satin finish.  Any ideas?

Thanks for any input.

Flashjet

Hello! You can try those covers that goes inside between the rotor and rim, I think I saw them on e-bay. You can also try ceramic pads which I installed on my sister's Montero

and I haven't spend much time cleaning the rims as I used to after switching to ceramics.

I will install them on my RX when the right time comes. Cheers!

Hello! You can try those covers that goes inside between the rotor and rim, I think I saw them on e-bay. You can also try ceramic pads which I installed on my sister's Montero

and I haven't spend much time cleaning the rims as I used to after switching to ceramics.

I will install them on my RX when the right time comes. Cheers!

I would second the ceramic brake pads-Ceramic brake pads incorporate a formula that includes ceramic materials and utilizes less metal (approximately 15% metal content by weight). Ceramic brake pads combine exceptional braking power with very quiet and low-dust braking

Just a thought on the mettallic Kleen Wheel Dust Sheilds, they tend to make the brakes run 'hotter' due to restricted airflow, this may or may not be a concern for you, just something to be aware of

JonM