My Car Whistles?

ISgirl

I have a '03 IS300. It's currently at 60k. I bought the car new @ $34,000. I travel a lot and on the highways, I like to go .. fast. :) After about 15k miles, there was this whistling noise, now if I'm going more than 90miles, sometimes even 80, sometimes has that noise too. I took it to the shop when I first noticed it and they wouldn't test drive it cause they refuse to go that fast, which is understandable. All they told me was that it could be an air hole somewhere that is making that noise when I'm going that fast. I don't know if what they're saying is true or if there is really something else going on with my car. I'm worried that it could be more to it than just an air hole, and for the price I paid, there shouldn't be any air holes! Does anyone know what it could be? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

I have a '03 IS300. It's currently at 60k. I bought the car new @ $34,000. I travel a lot and on the highways, I like to go .. fast. :) After about 15k miles, there was this whistling noise, now if I'm going more than 90miles, sometimes even 80, sometimes has that noise too. I took it to the shop when I first noticed it and they wouldn't test drive it cause they refuse to go that fast, which is understandable. All they told me was that it could be an air hole somewhere that is making that noise when I'm going that fast. I don't know if what they're saying is true or if there is really something else going on with my car. I'm worried that it could be more to it than just an air hole, and for the price I paid, there shouldn't be any air holes! Does anyone know what it could be? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

There is a hole on each side of the car under the foot wells. They should have plastic plugs in them. If one of the plugs came out it could cause the whistle. Usually the sound travels up through the door and sounds like maybe a window leak.

Get under the car and look around behind the front wheels where the footwells slope up and you should either find the holes or the plastic plugs.

In addition.

1. was the windshield recently replaced? Bottom corner of passenger side, see if the word Lexus is scratched in the glass. Most aftermarket windshields are not the glass used at the factory in Japan, so they won't have the word Lexus in/on it.

If the windshield was replaced it may not be sealed properly.

2. Take duct tape or that blue painters tape. Run a strip along you the seam of your sunroof on the outside. Cover the gap all the way around.

See if that eliminates the whistle.

3. Check all your windows and make sure they are all the way up. Close the window on a dollar bill, then see if you can slide the dollar bill easily. It shouldn't.

Go to a professional shop that can test for window leaks. They use steam, smoke or air under pressure to to find leaks. You may have a door seal or a window seal that has a gap.

steviej

ps. keeping it under 80 my eliminate the whistle and help preserve you. :whistles: