Rx400h Trailer Hitch

I just finished installing the Lexus PT228-48045 trailer hitch on my new RX400h. I purchased the hitch from Sewell Lexus in Dallas for $265.00 + s/h:

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?...ubCategoryID=16

The following are my observations on installing this hitch yourself:

1. Tools required: 12mm, 14mm (deep well), and 15mm sockets, Torque wrench (50 N-m) and a tool for removing the plastic clips without damaging them. Lexus recommends a propriatary "Panal Pry Tool #1 SST 00002-06001-01" but a small surgical hemostat worked well for me. Philips head and small slotted screwdrivers. A voltmeter is helpful for checking the electical connections prior to final re-assembly.

2. In addition you will need heavy shears to cut and contour the two rear plastic mud covers if you want to retain them. Lexus tells you to discard them, but I think that they are worth keeping. To do this, though, you will need to perform a little "plastic surgery."

3. The conversion kit (82670-48050) is NOT REQUIRED for the RX400h. This converter is for use on RX330s without the tow package. The RX400h already has the required connections.

4. Mounting the hitch itself is straightforward. No drilling is required: all required holes are present and tapped. You will need to remove two "tie down" brackets and mud covers. The brackets are discarded, but I recommend retaining the mud covers. To do this, however, you will need to perform "plastic surgery" (see 2 above).

5. The hitch incorporates the wiring harness and necessary connectors. The RX400h already has a socket (under the floor panels of the cargo hatch) into which the wiring harness for the hitch plugs into.

6. To plug the hitch into the RX400h's electrical system, you will need to disassemble most of the floor of the cargo hatch. Not terribly difficult, but four different panels must be removed in order to access the electrical socket for the hitch.

7. It should be obvious from this discussion that the hitch cannot be easily taken off and put back on as needed. This is technically possible, but a lot of work is required to do it.

8. The hitch is very heavy (40#) and appears to be solidly made. It is contoured to clear the passenger side exhaust pipe.

I used a small thin-bladed screwdriver instead of some specialized panel removal tool. You just insert it under the edge of the round fastener and gently pry all around the edge so that it comes up evenly.

The first time you put the hitch on it takes some extra effort to figure out how to do it but subsequent times are pretty easy. Like I said before the hardest part is getting the hitch into position. I have a good system of wood blocks to elevate the hitch right to where it needs to go, then I just screw the bolts on. Don't even need to jack up the car or the hitch.

• 1 month later...

Any hints on how to install 82670-48050? I need this for my '04 RX330

The dealer installed the following parts on my RX400h  for my trailer hitch:

PT228-48045     RX330 HITCH

82670-48050     BLOCK ASSY , JUNCT

There is the hitch and a standard 4 pin trailer wiring plug on a small bracket.

Hope this helps.

My brother wants to put a trailer hitch on his 400h.  So far, I have had no luck finding aftermarket hitch for the vehicle.  Anyone have any luck??

I read a couple of other posts from 400h owners stating that they had a hitch installed by the dealer.  I would be interested in how much the dealer charged for hitch and installation.  When our vehicle was purchased, salesman quoted us $900 for Lexus hitch and said to look elsewhere.

Thanks...

I got the #3500 Lexus OEM hitch for $265+tax. It's sitting in my garage right now, haven't had time to install it. The OEM hitch in my opinion looks the nicest, some of the non-Lexus hitches have an ugly rectangular box/cage around the exhaust.

speedy...Thanks for the info. I called the local Lexus dealer, parts dept. The guy I talked to said that the hitch for the 400h is the same as the one for the 330. The Lexus part number is PT22848045 and the cost is $332.72 plus tax. If you want the hitch installed, the total is $617.72 plus tax. If you got hitch PT22848045 for $265, you got a deal. Did you purchase yours at the dealer or online??

bainse...I'll check out the drawtite hitch as well.

I got my PT22848045 at a dealer. Different dealers have different prices, it definitely pays to shop around. I was told a bunch of different prices: $265, $295, $410, $440 for the part. Labor varied from $230-$300.

I plan to keep my hitch off most of the time (for fuel economy) and put it on only when I take a trip with my bicycles.

speedyq...My brother wants to get the Lexus hitch. He asked about a wiring harness. Did you have to purchase some type of wiring harness along with the hitch??? Is a separate wiring harness required to hook up trailer lights?? Thanks.

The converter 82670-48050 is only required for vehicles without the tow package. The hitch PT228-48045 comes with the wiring harness. If you install by yourself you'll need a torque wrench and 12mm, 14mm, and 15mm sockets.

Any hints on how to install 82670-48050?  I need this for my '04 RX330

I didn't need a converter box, so I don't know firsthand how to install it. The hitch instructions do include instructions on how to install the converter box though.

In addition to having the RX400h hitch, Sewell Lexus has the detailed Lexus hitch installation instructions posted on their site as well. You can see them by clicking the following link http://www.lexus-parts.com/5161RX34.pdf

(You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader or a similar program to actually read and print the instructions. If you don't already have it, you can download a free version at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html )

Hope this helps. :cheers:

• 8 months later...

This thread was really helpful. Called the two local Lexus dealers in the San Fran bay area and they quoted me $562 just for the hitch not including labor..

Went to the Sewell Lexus website..

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist.asp?Su...amp;ModelID=148

Ordered all the necessary parts:

Item ID:1868, PT228-48045 - Lexus RX330 RX350 & RX400h Series Tow Hitch - Class II - 3500 lbs, Quantity:1, Price:$265.00, Item Total:$265.00

Item ID:2610, PT228-48039 - Ball Mount, Quantity:1, Price:$45.00, Item Total:$45.00

Item ID:2998, PT791-00844 - Trailer Ball - 2 Inch, Quantity:1, Price:$20.00, Item Total:$20.00

Sub-Total:$330.00

Shipping: $43.53

Tax:$0.00

Total:$373.53

My friend who works at an auto shop is going to help install it for me..

Ordered all the necessary parts:

Item ID:1868, PT228-48045 - Lexus RX330 RX350 & RX400h Series Tow Hitch - Class II - 3500 lbs, Quantity:1, Price:$265.00, Item Total:$265.00

Item ID:2610, PT228-48039 - Ball Mount, Quantity:1, Price:$45.00, Item Total:$45.00

Item ID:2998, PT791-00844 - Trailer Ball - 2 Inch, Quantity:1, Price:$20.00, Item Total:$20.00

Sub-Total:$330.00

Shipping: $43.53

Tax:$0.00

Total:$373.53

My friend who works at an auto shop is going to help install it for me..

Hmm, you will also need a wiring kit to hook up to the vehicle harness if you want to tow anything. If it's just for a bike rack then you are fine.

You could have saved some $$ on the ball mount by going to trailers4less

But you will be happier with the factory hitch in the long run, I'm sure of it.

• 3 years later...

Hmm, you will also need a wiring kit to hook up to the vehicle harness if you want to tow anything. If it's just for a bike rack then you are fine.

You could have saved some $$ on the ball mount by going to trailers4less

But you will be happier with the factory hitch in the long run, I'm sure of it.

yep