Rx400h Trailer Hitch

My brother wants to put a trailer hitch on his 400h. So far, I have had no luck finding aftermarket hitch for the vehicle. Anyone have any luck??

I read a couple of other posts from 400h owners stating that they had a hitch installed by the dealer. I would be interested in how much the dealer charged for hitch and installation. When our vehicle was purchased, salesman quoted us $900 for Lexus hitch and said to look elsewhere.

Thanks...

My brother wants to put a trailer hitch on his 400h.  So far, I have had no luck finding aftermarket hitch for the vehicle.  Anyone have any luck??

I read a couple of other posts from 400h owners stating that they had a hitch installed by the dealer.  I would be interested in how much the dealer charged for hitch and installation.  When our vehicle was purchased, salesman quoted us $900 for Lexus hitch and said to look elsewhere.

Thanks...

I just had one installed by the dealer, who charged $615 including the wiring harness (without the wiring harness, I'm told you have to do some splicing or something when you want to connect trailer brake lights). They install a 2" hitch, which is good because the other standard size (1 1/4) works with far fewer bike racks and trailers.

There are aftermarket hitches available and in theory they seem quite easy to install, but I didn't want to take the chance. See www.drawtite-hitches.com/hitch_selector_combo.htm, which shows a class III hitch for an RX330 which I believe is the same one they used on my 400h. Price online was $135. My dealer said the price difference is b/c Lexus marks up the price for the hitch ($270), doesn't give its dealers a discount, and the dealers have the labor cost, etc.

My brother wants to put a trailer hitch on his 400h.  So far, I have had no luck finding aftermarket hitch for the vehicle.  Anyone have any luck??

I read a couple of other posts from 400h owners stating that they had a hitch installed by the dealer.  I would be interested in how much the dealer charged for hitch and installation.  When our vehicle was purchased, salesman quoted us $900 for Lexus hitch and said to look elsewhere.

Thanks...

I got the #3500 Lexus OEM hitch for $265+tax. It's sitting in my garage right now, haven't had time to install it. The OEM hitch in my opinion looks the nicest, some of the non-Lexus hitches have an ugly rectangular box/cage around the exhaust.

Thanks...

I got the #3500 Lexus OEM hitch for $265+tax. It's sitting in my garage right now, haven't had time to install it. The OEM hitch in my opinion looks the nicest, some of the non-Lexus hitches have an ugly rectangular box/cage around the exhaust.

speedy...Thanks for the info. I called the local Lexus dealer, parts dept. The guy I talked to said that the hitch for the 400h is the same as the one for the 330. The Lexus part number is PT22848045 and the cost is $332.72 plus tax. If you want the hitch installed, the total is $617.72 plus tax. If you got hitch PT22848045 for $265, you got a deal. Did you purchase yours at the dealer or online??

bainse...I'll check out the drawtite hitch as well.

Thanks...

speedy...Thanks for the info. I called the local Lexus dealer, parts dept. The guy I talked to said that the hitch for the 400h is the same as the one for the 330. The Lexus part number is PT22848045 and the cost is $332.72 plus tax. If you want the hitch installed, the total is $617.72 plus tax. If you got hitch PT22848045 for $265, you got a deal. Did you purchase yours at the dealer or online??

I got my PT22848045 at a dealer. Different dealers have different prices, it definitely pays to shop around. I was told a bunch of different prices: $265, $295, $410, $440 for the part. Labor varied from $230-$300.

I plan to keep my hitch off most of the time (for fuel economy) and put it on only when I take a trip with my bicycles.

Thanks...

I got my PT22848045 at a dealer. Different dealers have different prices, it definitely pays to shop around. I was told a bunch of different prices: $265, $295, $410, $440 for the part. Labor varied from $230-$300.

I plan to keep my hitch off most of the time (for fuel economy) and put it on only when I take a trip with my bicycles.

I checked out lexus-parts.com, which is Sewell Lexus. Their price for PT228-48045 is $265 plus tax and shipping.

According to what I saw online, the draw-tite part number is 75153. Prices vary...$131.40, $144.95, and $164.50.

Is the Lexus OEM hitch merely a Draw-Tite hitch in disguise at an inflated price??

Recommend to go with the factory hitch. It's better integrated structurally to the unibody and it affords greater gound clearance... also looks better.

If it comes with your car from the factory its a $4xx upgrade, if you have the dealer install it (assuming they can) its a $6xx cost.

Whatever you do, don't go to U-haul for one, better to get a draw-tite, hidden-hitch, or reese product and install it yourself.

Mine was 415 for the hitch and installation. I would highly recommend you go with the dealer. If you go to some local shop, they'll splice into the wires while the 400h has the electrical wiring all readybuilt in. Or that is what my sales guy told me :P

Thanks...

speedyq...My brother wants to get the Lexus hitch. He asked about a wiring harness. Did you have to purchase some type of wiring harness along with the hitch??? Is a separate wiring harness required to hook up trailer lights?? Thanks.

The dealer installed the following parts on my RX400h for my trailer hitch:

PT228-48045 RX330 HITCH

82670-48050 BLOCK ASSY , JUNCT

There is the hitch and a standard 4 pin trailer wiring plug on a small bracket.

Hope this helps.

Thanks...

speedyq...My brother wants to get the Lexus hitch. He asked about a wiring harness. Did you have to purchase some type of wiring harness along with the hitch??? Is a separate wiring harness required to hook up trailer lights?? Thanks.

The dealer installed the following parts on my RX400h  for my trailer hitch:

PT228-48045    RX330 HITCH

82670-48050    BLOCK ASSY , JUNCT

Hope this helps.

Thanks...

Very helpful. Thank you. I'll look into this further.

The dealer installed the following parts on my RX400h  for my trailer hitch:

PT228-48045    RX330 HITCH

82670-48050    BLOCK ASSY , JUNCT

Hope this helps.

Thanks...

The converter 82670-48050 is only required for vehicles without the tow package. The hitch PT228-48045 comes with the wiring harness. If you install by yourself you'll need a torque wrench and 12mm, 14mm, and 15mm sockets.

The converter 82670-48050 is only required for vehicles without the tow package. The hitch PT228-48045 comes with the wiring harness. If you install by yourself you'll need a torque wrench and 12mm, 14mm, and 15mm sockets.

Update: On 8/2/05, I contacted Lexus. I was told that the junction block assembly, part #82670-48050, is NOT required on the 400h because it is already installed at the factory. That "jives" with what I found on lexus.com. According to Lexus.com, the specifications for the 400h are as follows:

>

> Trailer hitch: optional

> Trailer wiring: standard

> Towing Prep Package: standard (listed under Luxury)

> Tow capacity (max): 3500

Thanks to everyone who contributed. :cheers:

Edited by uthorns1976

On the window sticker for my car, under Luxury, next to Roof Rails with Racks is "Towing Prep Package".

Is is possible that the sticker is wrong?

The converter 82670-48050 is only required for vehicles without the tow package.  The hitch PT228-48045 comes with the wiring harness.  If you install by yourself you'll need a torque wrench and 12mm, 14mm, and 15mm sockets.

Update: On 8/2/05, I contacted Lexus.  I was told that the junction block assembly, part #82670-48050, is NOT required on the 400h because it is already installed at the factory.  That "jives" with what I found on lexus.com.  According to Lexus.com, the specifications for the 400h are as follows:

>

Thanks to everyone who contributed.:cheers:

On the window sticker for my car, under Luxury, next to Roof Rails with Racks is "Towing Prep Package".

Is is possible that the sticker is wrong? 

The converter 82670-48050 is only required for vehicles without the tow package.  The hitch PT228-48045 comes with the wiring harness.  If you install by yourself you'll need a torque wrench and 12mm, 14mm, and 15mm sockets.

Update: On 8/2/05, I contacted Lexus.  I was told that the junction block assembly, part #82670-48050, is NOT required on the 400h because it is already installed at the factory.  That "jives" with what I found on lexus.com.  According to Lexus.com, the specifications for the 400h are as follows:

>

Thanks to everyone who contributed.:cheers:

ted...Based on what I have seen on lexus.com, my telephone conversation with Lexus customer satisfaction and speedyg's post in this thread, the sticker on your vehicle is not wrong. So, I don't understand why the dealer charged you for a junction block assembly when they installed your hitch. Supposedly, it's already there!! I think you should have a conversation with the dealer and/or Lexus Customer Satisfaction regarding this matter.

speedyg...Have you actually installed your hitch WITHOUT the converter or is it still in the box?? Also, regarding the converter, according to some websites I have visited, part #82670-48045 has been superceded by part #82670-0E040. This is an expensive part, about $150.

How can the hitch affect fuel economy? According to the specs, it weighs 30 pounds. This vehicle weighs over 4300 pounds.

How can the hitch affect fuel economy? According to the specs, it weighs 30 pounds. This vehicle weighs over 4300 pounds.

The hitch doesn't weigh 30lbs, it's actually quite hefty. I would say 45-55 lbs and unwieldy, you can't really lift it with one hand. That's 45-55 extra pounds the engines have to get moving. How can it not affect fuel economy?

speedyg...Have you actually installed your hitch WITHOUT the converter or is it still in the box??  Also, regarding the converter, according to some websites I have visited, part #82670-48045 has been superceded by part #82670-0E040.  This is an expensive part, about $150.

Yes, I installed my hitch WITHOUT the converter. You do not need the converter, the 400h comes with the converter stuff installed at the factory. The hitch installation is very straightfowards, the hardest part is getting the heavy hitch (45-55lbs) into position in order to bolt it on. I should also add that a 10mm socket is necessary in order to remove a plastic covering before you can put the hitch on. Later on when you remove the rear deck tray, a thin bladed screwdriver is useful for gently prying up the black connectors. You'll need to remove the big rear deck lid, the rear deck tray, the driver side small deck lid, and the 2 driver deck trays in order to hook up the wiring harness.

As has been discussed here at length, the trailer hitch requires that the junction block assembly, 82670-48050, be installed.  Does anyone have any idea where the junction block assembly is located??

If you have a RX400h, you only need the 3500lb hitch and the wiring harness that comes with it. You don't need any additional converters or parts. The 400h comes with a socket that the wiring harness plugs right in to. I have it all hooked up.

If you have a RX330 without the towing prep package you would need the converter. The instructions say you'd have to locate the rear junction box component which is supposedly under the driver-side rear seat (you have to slide the seat forward, fold it down, lift up the carpet flap to get at it) and replace it with the converter.

speedyg...Have you actually installed your hitch WITHOUT the converter or is it still in the box??  Also, regarding the converter, according to some websites I have visited, part #82670-48045 has been superceded by part #82670-0E040.  This is an expensive part, about $150.

Yes, I installed my hitch WITHOUT the converter. You do not need the converter, the 400h comes with the converter stuff installed at the factory. The hitch installation is very straightfowards, the hardest part is getting the heavy hitch (45-55lbs) into position in order to bolt it on. I should also add that a 10mm socket is necessary in order to remove a plastic covering before you can put the hitch on. Later on when you remove the rear deck tray, a thin bladed screwdriver is useful for gently prying up the black connectors. You'll need to remove the big rear deck lid, the rear deck tray, the driver side small deck lid, and the 2 driver deck trays in order to hook up the wiring harness.

...which is why I was curious about why anyone would want to bother taking it on and off for probably unnoticeable, less than a 1% difference in fuel economy (even if hitch is about 1% vehicle weight, that's still only 1% (!!) and is only one of several economy factors). But have at it!

As has been discussed here at length, the trailer hitch requires that the junction block assembly, 82670-48050, be installed.  Does anyone have any idea where the junction block assembly is located??

If you have a RX400h, you only need the 3500lb hitch and the wiring harness that comes with it. You don't need any additional converters or parts. The 400h comes with a socket that the wiring harness plugs right in to. I have it all hooked up.

If you have a RX330 without the towing prep package you would need the converter. The instructions say you'd have to locate the rear junction box component which is supposedly under the driver-side rear seat (you have to slide the seat forward, fold it down, lift up the carpet flap to get at it) and replace it with the converter.

speedy...I read the following on another forum:

"only thing about putting a PT228-48045 hitch on the 400h is that you discard the two air deflectors in the corners of the rear bumpers. Otherwise its identical."

What did you do about the "air deflectors?"

speedy...I read the following on another forum:

"only thing about putting a PT228-48045 hitch on the 400h is that you discard the two air deflectors in the corners of the rear bumpers. Otherwise its identical."

What did you do about the "air deflectors?"

I was able to leave the "air deflector" near the exhaust on. Only had to remove the deflector at the driver's side corner. If you want to leave the hitch on permanently I suppose you could widen the opening in that deflector (so that the hitch fits through it) and put it back on. That way you'd have both deflectors.