Removing Antenna Nut To New Mast

My antenna on my 95 ES300 is broken so I ordered a new shaft. I searched through all the messages on here, but I can't find anything that describes how to remove the nut that holds down the mast to the body (the chrome thinggy that screws in). It seems the inner diameter is too small so that it cant be removed by sliding it up or down over the old mast. The new mast does not come with this chrome nut already on it, and they said to reuse the old one. How do you get it to come off?

Thanks!

Its standard thread. Unscrew using needle nose pliers. It'll come right off.

I maybe wasn't clear in my original message. The old mast is out of the car and the chrome nut is on the old mast. I installed the new mast (which didn't have a chrome nut) and it was obvious that after I installed the new mast that I was missing the nut because it wasn't held down tight and there was plenty of gap between the antenna and the edge of the hole in the bodywork.

So I need to move the nut from the old mast to the new mast. It just doesn't slide off though. Any tips?

You did something wrong.

The mast is not held onto the antenna mast in anyway.

It unscrews from the antennat motor body to press the rubber grommet against the car while holding the antenna housing secure in the trunk.

Without a picture it is hard to know if you are describing your parts correctly as it is not the way it should be for fittment.

You did something wrong.

The mast is not held onto the antenna mast in anyway.

It unscrews from the antennat motor body to press the rubber grommet against the car while holding the antenna housing secure in the trunk.

OK, I believe I did it wrong. I unscrewed the chrome nut ALL THE WAY so that when I pulled out the antenna teeth to remove the mast, the nut was still on the mast. I couldn't get it removed by hand, but I didn't try super hard because I didn't want to break it. If I understand this right, am I not supposed to unscrew the nut all the way when I try to remove the old mast?

Picture this (this is what I did):

A) Car is off, antenna is up (hence why it is broken)

B) Unscrew the nut all the way, it is now loose and can slide up the mast all the way to the top (but doesn't come off it can't go over the top)

C) Car is on, the radio is turned on and I help the mast come out by gently pulling as it is coming out.

D) Mast is out and the nut is still on it

This is where I am at now, I obviously haven't done something right. Thanks for all the tips so far!

So far it sounds right but you have to unscrew the nut until it pulls right off , it takes quite a few turns to rinally get it off ,unless someoen tried before and broke the antenna housing so the nut just turns but cannot release .

Look under the hole where the antenna is and see if it still has some of the old housing attached to the nut.

Hehehe, thanks for your input so far but the nut is all the way off the car. It is on the mast which is removed from the car as well. I have no problems threading in or out the nut, it's just that it is still on the old mast. Just trying to be clearer now (not scarastic or anything), but imagine laying the old mast down on your workbench (or lawn/driveway/or wherever) after you remove it. The nut is still on the old mast which is laying on the workbench, how do I get it off?

Maybe I'm just being too gentle trying to remove the nut from the mast (again both of which are not connected to the car). I feel a case of "Mr Obvious" coming on, your probably going to tell me it just slides off the mast and slides on to the new mast.

Sorry for the confusion so far!

Yes it does just come right off.

Once the mast is removed from the ant motor it comes right off either out the top or bottom as the nut only holds the assembly to the body it does not touch the mast . The only other problem is you have a non Toyota ant assembly which might be your problem.

Here is a picture of the top of an antenna with the threads for the ant and a bezel screw which attaches to it with a rubber base between it and the body .

post-715-1121664017_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
My antenna on my 95 ES300 is broken so I ordered a new shaft.  I searched through all the messages on here, but I can't find anything that describes how to remove the nut that holds down the mast to the body (the chrome thinggy that screws in).  It seems the inner diameter is too small so that it cant be removed by sliding it up or down over the old mast.  The new mast does not come with this chrome nut already on it, and they said to reuse the old one.  How do you get it to come off?

Thanks!

My antenna on my 95 ES300 is broken so I ordered a new shaft.  I searched through all the messages on here, but I can't find anything that describes how to remove the nut that holds down the mast to the body (the chrome thinggy that screws in).  It seems the inner diameter is too small so that it cant be removed by sliding it up or down over the old mast.  The new mast does not come with this chrome nut already on it, and they said to reuse the old one.  How do you get it to come off?

Thanks!

I know exactly what you are talking about, cause I just did the same thing and destroyed the nut trying to separate it from the "sleve" that kept the nut on the mast. I think this sleve, that has a plasic top to it, is supposed to come apart from the nut, but mine would not. The guy I bought the replacement antenna from said to soak the assembly in hot water to separate them - but mines already toast. Now my problem is finding a new nut, since they don't come with a new antenna.