92 Sc400 Runs Fine 98%,but Sometimes Stall Out

i have a 92 sc400, just got it on sunday so i don't know much about it at this point, i have tomorrow off so i need to figure it out then. heres the problem..

the car will run PERFECT all day, but then Randomly (100% random), maybe at a stop light, or after you shut the car off and try to restart it, or maybe stopping to put it in reverse, it'll stall out and it'll take a Lot of cranking but it'll start back up, and run Horrible, always starts back up and either runs perfect like nothing happened, or it'll sputter and run like crap then die, start it back up, will either run like crap again or run perfect, once it runs perfect again, no problems! till the random stall comes again, could be 20 miles, could be the next day.... any ideas?

it also gives out a exhaust smelling of rotten eggs occasionally when i restart it (cats?)

i read the other topics and realize it could be the fuel pump ecu but i'm hoping it's something cheaper/easier to find locally or something i can fix myself.

On the ES forums you'll find a similar problem, throttle body needs to be cleaned and clears it up.  Happened to  friend of mine with an ES300.  Hadn't heard of it on an SC400, but who knows . . .

i'll try that tomorrow, also saw some people talking about the IAC, not sure if the v-8 has an iac but if it does, i'll clean that, also going to replace the fuel filter, clean the egr (check engine light is already on..), and replace the pcv. hopefully one of those will fix it, i'm sure it could use it all anyways, i got the car in a trade for about 1600$ worth the stuff.

well i changed the fuel filter, and ran a bottle of seafoam through it, ran great for a bit, but then just started doing the same old stalling out routine, getting REALLY old.....any input other than cleaning the TB?

well i changed the fuel filter, and ran a bottle of seafoam through it, ran great for a bit, but then just started doing the same old stalling out routine, getting REALLY old.....any input other than cleaning the TB?

I have a 92 SC400 that I've had for over seven years and, also, have recently experienced a problem with it dying every so often; very sporadic. It starts right back up and runs fine until it happens again. I read someplace that it could be caused by a bad ground wire. I haven't confirmed that is my problem but thought I'd mention it as a possible cause.

sorry should have updated, especially for rakman, clean your egr. i took my throttle boddy off and cleaned it fully, cleaned the egr, had 0 stalls outs since, have had a couple hard starts (egr still sticking probably), but no stalls since. only took me about 2 hours to do it, replace all the hoses while you're there to, just so it's done.

• 6 years later...

Okay... I have a SC400 with 110k miles. It's a '92.

I had this same problem, when I would sometimes start it up it would stall out. Would start then die. It would do it a few times then it would run normally. Once, it died while driving. But it started up.

I asked my friend Dave to look at it and he said that if you leave the car sitting, without driving it much (which I don't), make sure that there is a full tank of fuel in the car.

I guess what happens is that the gaskets on the fuel pump dry out, it allows air into the system. If they are dried out too long, they crack and you have to replace them.

He said try that for a month. Well, it turns out that if I do that, it won't stall.

So when it gets to 3/4 full, I go fill it up.

It hasn't happened since.

Are you getting a hesitation before it stalls out? It could be the fuel filter needing replacement or it could be a bad battery terminal if there's no power.

Give us some more details.