Gx470 And Kdss

satiger

Hello All,

This is my first post in this forum and need some help/advice in choosing my new GX470 which I am planning to buy tomorrow (July 08).

I live is TX and got qoute for two model both equiped with Nav,DVD, 3rd row seat etc. One with KDSS (Sport model) and other is regular. For sport model I got quote for $48000 and regular model is $48800 (yes $800 more).

I test drove two models (demo ones) and found Sport model (with KDSS - 5 miles on it) had stering wheel little tight and regular one (had 4000 miles on it) is very smooth like car based.

I personally prefer smooth stering wheel. My question is is it normal for KDSS to have tight stering wheel or will it get 'loosen' up after driving a while?.

Can some one please answer me?. Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks.

i really have no clue on what KDSS really does, but there has been an issue before that some people have GX470s that lean to one side (if equipped with KDSS). that's my only opinion. ;)

Thanks denslexuusgx470 for the quick response. I did some search on KDSS and below is the description of it. I am not sure it is well worth and take the risk of tight steering wheel????!!!! Do I really need to drive the actual vehicle to see how that steering wheel performs?.

"......One of the trick technologies part of the optional Sport package ($1,800) is the Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS). This system permits the vehicle to go off- and on-road with the sort of comfortable ride feel that should be expected of a Lexus. This is the result of having large stabilizer bars in the front and back in the KDSS setup, “large” as in being 47 mm in the front rather than the more typical 30 mm and 33 mm in the rear rather than the typical 21 mm. While this might lead to an uncomfortable ride, it doesn’t because of a hydraulic control system that is at the heart of KDSS. Without getting too technical here, suffice it to say that the system works so that the stiff stabilizer bars help reduce body roll motion when cornering in ordinary circumstances and that wheels can move independently, especially in off-road situations, so loading is equalized.........."

i really have no clue on what KDSS really does, but there has been an issue before that some people have GX470s that lean to one side (if equipped with KDSS). that's my only opinion.  ;)

i really have no clue on what KDSS really does, but there has been an issue before that some people have GX470s that lean to one side (if equipped with KDSS). that's my only opinion.  ;)

The leaning situation your referring to, is probably isolated. I have the KDSS, and do not have that problem. I will say, after driving both with and not versions, recommend it highly. As far steering, I think the GX steering is far too sensitive and oversteers. The Steering does not feel more or less stiff with the KDSS. There is probably another issue at play here. The KDSS only effects the suspension. The cornering is far tighter and flatter with the KDSS than without.

It is interesting that, Satiger, found it cheaper with the KDSS on the sport model. I am curious if they are having problems selling the off coloured interior. I have seen the interior of the 2005 sport (Grey tinted trim), and I like the interior of the Non-KDSS (Birdseye Maple) more. That is completely my opinion and other opinions may vary. But, on the 2004 model, the interior on the KDSS model was the same as the standard model (birdseye maple).

Again, getting back to the steering, it sounds like some other issue with that particular truck and not the model. You may want to try that same drive on the same model at another dealership. It is the flat tracking that you will look for in a high speed cornering manuever. It is VERY noticeable when you are on a mountain road.

This is a link that someone else posted on another website, but it does demonstrate what you can expect: http://www.lexus.com/models/video_popup/kdss.html :cheers: Best of luck in your choice ....

Thanks ADVocate on your detailed response. I appreciate it. First confirmation that KDSS not related to steering stiffness!.

2005 GX Sport models do come with black maple wood. It looks like marble to me!. I personally prefer regular maple wood trim. Since I was offered $800 less for the loaded Sport model, I am (not GX!!??) leaning towards that.

I will go back to the dealer and drive the actual truck and see how that steering performs. Does the steering gets loosen up (means looses its stiffness) after driving a while or remains the same from day one?.

Thanks............

I have KDSS and find if anything the steering is a little loose for my taste. My brother and I both bought 2005 GX's and he did not opt for the Sport so no KDSS, We have switched a couple times and he agrees that the KDSS is amazing at going around corners and curves with almost no body roll. I liked the color of the Sport interior, The Black eye gives it a more sporty look to the Golden Eyes more Luxurious look. Also like the darker smoked rims, Headlights and back lights. Then again my brother likes his look, So I guess it's a matter of choice. The other thing he did like better on mine was the exhaust tip and for about $70 we bought one at Lexus and put on in about 5 minute. We both love the GX and neither have had a single complaint yet.

P.S Seems like a great price, Mine cost $53,000. And that was after getting screwed on my trade in