Stupid Question

No, clay and compound (I assume you mean a rubbing or polishing compound) are completely different things. Clay is just that, clay and it is rubbed on the surface of the paint with a lubricant and it pulls imbedded contaminants out of the paint. A compound is a product used to abrade the paint surface to remove scratches or other issues. Totally different things for totally different purposes.

You really should read up on all the tutorials in the Car Care section and search this forum. Compounding not as much, but claying has been discussed in depth here before.

thanks SW03es i have been reading lots of info on detailingthat you guys have posted before and its reallt informative and now that i think back my paint problems began about a year ago when i applied that really heavy turtle wax compound on my car afterwards it looked like it took the shine rigt out of my paint afterwardsi would wash an wax it myself but not as good as you guys do and it would lst for a little while(couple of weeks)then the shine would be gone again. now i know why and im not trying to make those same mistakes. when i used to spend hours cleaning my car i thouht i was doing something now im back to step one

by the way i picked up the swirl remover,leather conditioner and cleaner,car wash from the zaino site that i think you recommended plus i got the meguires polish and wax that comes with the 3 step from autozone wha else do you thin i need? thanks for all of your help

Thats basically all you should need if you're working by hand. I dont have any experience with Zaino's swirl remover but I've heard good things.

The next thing I'd do is get some microfiber towels, www.pakshak.com does a good job and has nice towels.

just finished claying the car i used the mothers product and even though the paint still looks like cra it sure s smooth i took it to a hand wash place first i couldnt get to the DACP tody does that mean that i ave to clay the car again on saturday? itsv supposed to rain tomorrow any you wouldnt believe what happen while i was cleaning the car i had my trunk open and a friend of mine stop to ask me what was wrong with the car because he saw me with the headlights out(trying to aim)and he sees all of the detailing stuff in my trunk the vector included then he starts telling me how h used to work for a shop doing all of the stuff that i need doneand he says to cll him on saturday and he will hit the car up for me and give some lessons i cant wait up to that point my day was not going well due to baby mama drama and that brought me right out of y funk go figure