Bluetooth-verizon Wireless-lexus Ls430

pwfb

I know that there has been different posts in various sections about bluetooth connectivity and Verizon Wireless. This is my experience for what its worth.

I carry a Nextel 7520 (bluetooth enabled) for my email and an Audiovox cdm-8900 (non-bluetooth) Verizon Wireless phone for my phone needs. About 2 weeks ago I got a 2005 Lexus LS430. I tried the Nextel unit with it and though I could not upload my phonebook to the car, I was able to use the phone, though the call quality was terrible. I then purchased a Motorola V710 (Verizon) to replace the Audiovox non-bluetooth phone. On the plus side I was able to pair the phone and the Lexus, no problem. The downside was that I was unable to upload my phonebook to the Lexus. I went to a Verizon Wireless store today to make sure that I had the latest firmware in the phone, which I did, and then asked about connectivity. They had a chart and it showed that I would be unable to upload the phone book. They were reasonably optomistic that sooner or later a new version of the software would be out which should address the problem. They had no timetable for the new firmware version.

Again I realize that this does not solve anyone elses problem but wanted to share my experience if you have a similiar configuration.

...Scott

I went to a Verizon Wireless store today to make sure that I had the latest firmware in the phone, which I did, and then asked about connectivity. They had a chart and it showed that I would be unable to upload the phone book. They were reasonably optomistic that sooner or later a new version of the software would be out which should address the problem. They had no timetable for the new firmware version.

Sorry to break the news to you Scott, but no such firmware version is on its way. The Verizon store staff are telling you that lie so you don't return your v710 during the "full refund and no service obligation" period.

I went to a Verizon Wireless store today to make sure that I had the latest firmware in the phone, which I did, and then asked about connectivity. They had a chart and it showed that I would be unable to upload the phone book. They were reasonably optomistic that sooner or later a new version of the software would be out which should address the problem. They had no timetable for the new firmware version.

Sorry to break the news to you Scott, but no such firmware version is on its way. The Verizon store staff are telling you that lie so you don't return your v710 during the "full refund and no service obligation" period.

Thanks. Actually I intentionally bought the phone off of eBay as I did not want to extend my contract, even though I am VERY happy with VZW. While I miss the battery life of my Audiovox, I really love the BT of the V710. As for the Lexus, it pairs well and I was able to get my top 3 or 4 crucial numbers into speed dial. This is all new for me. I have used cell phones for over 20 years and I have always purchased and had installed the manufacturers car kit. I realize I can do that again, but I am trying to avoid "hacking" up the new ride if possible ;-)

Been discussed many many many times here and on cellular and technology forums. Bluetooth phones from Verizon and Sprint will not upload phonebooks because the data aspects of Bluetooth have been cut to make customers use their pay per use data transfer services.

They'll tell you they're going to fix it, but they aren't going to. If you want FULL Bluetooth capabilities then you have to buy from Cingular or T Mobile.

Been discussed many many many times here and on cellular and technology forums. Bluetooth phones from Verizon and Sprint will not upload phonebooks because the data aspects of Bluetooth have been cut to make customers use their pay per use data transfer services.

They'll tell you they're going to fix it, but they aren't going to. If you want FULL Bluetooth capabilities then you have to buy from Cingular or T Mobile.

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately for me T-Mobile is not a good option in my area nor is Cingular. I will live with the BT shortcomings of Verizon as their coverage is GREAT in my area plus nearly all of my friends and clients use them so I get to take advantage of the "in" calling plan.

Thanks for the info and reply.

....Scott

I have exactly the same problem, I'm also with Verizon and have a V710. While I utterly despize Verizon, I really dont have any options. They know that too, thats why they're such *BLEEP*s.

You can buy an old Bluetooth cingular phone off ebay and use that to enter phonebook data. Thats what some people have done I know.

I recently was looking at new phones and several Verizon "outlets" that I went to were completely out of the V710 phone.

They told me that there were some issues with the phone that were being worked on and that they did not know when they would have any more in stock. Bluetooth was one of the 'issues".

I heard this from several different (yes, differently owned) Verizon outlets, so I would tend to think that something was actually happening with this.

But, the phone companies have messed with all of us before, so I would not hold my breath.

Tom

Whats happening is they're currently being sued for false advertising of the Bluetooth capabilities by Toyota, Honda, and BMW as well as a couple of class action suits by private consumer groups.

You wont see them until Verizon has this sorted out.

You can buy an old Bluetooth cingular phone off ebay and use that to enter phonebook data. Thats what some people have done I know.

Though the thought of manually entering in all of my numbers into a new phone seems really daunting, I wonder if I got a compatible BT pre-paid Cingular phone would work as well as purchasing one from eBay.

I recently was looking at new phones and several Verizon "outlets" that I went to were completely out of the V710 phone.

They told me that there were some issues with the phone that were being worked on and that they did not know when they would have any more in stock.  Bluetooth was one of the 'issues".

Tom

I could be totally wrong Tom as I have no facts to back this up, but, I *think* the stock problem with the V710 is more related to price. Specifically they (VZW) recently dropped the price to $99 on a NEW activation from something like $299. Based on past experiences, they do this when they are about to introduce a new "replacement" model (i.e. Motorola E815) and/or they are phasing out the current model line completely. I saw them do this a few years ago with the StarTac line. The E815 does have BT but does not have AMPS (analog) capability. For me AMPS is really important as some parts of the country that I travel to for business are still only analog.

...Scott

Not to beat a dead horse on this, but, has anyone else experienced a problem where when you are on one call and a 2nd call (call waiting) comes in both calls are dropped and a message comes up on the Lexus screen; "call termintaed by network?"

If so where you able to remedy it? If so, how?

Thanks, Scott