Need Advice For Front Brake Pad Set Replacement

Hampton

NAPA ceramic formulation ~$50 for both front wheels.

OEM is ceramic, Its good stuff.

few months back, the part manager at one of the lex dealers told me all OEM pads sold at dealers are 'metalic', lex just dosn't carry any ceramic kind.

I ended up using NAPA ceramic pads on all new cross-drilled (not slotted) rotors, and they are working very well on my 97 LS4, and the dust is very minimal.

Lexus pads are not metallic. The FAQ on Lexus's website says this:

Question: What materials are used in the Lexus brake pad?

Lexus's Official Answer:

"The brake pad material of Lexus vehicles is chosen for normal driving and is composed of many different materials, including non-asbestos friction materials, filler materials, and high temperature resins. Some of our pads also include very, very small amounts of finely powdered metal. This amount of metal is so small that we do not refer to these pads as metallic. The different materials for the "recipe" for a particular year and model are mixed together, compressed, and formed into the desired shape."

Owner's who use aftermarket pads such as NAPA pads risk wearing down their expensive factory original rotors prematurely. The factory original rotors have a tremendous durability potential if the driver has gentle braking habits. Here is an extreme example: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/rotorthick.jpg

95 LS400 need replace front brake pad soon, my local lexus dealer quote for $75 per set.

They're only $51.19 per set at Park Place Lexus http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...808&catalogID=1 Since you don't have to pay sales tax, this offsets most of the UPS Ground shipping charge.

I just put on semi-metallics today (from Kragen Auto Parts) with new rotors I got on eBay. I don't expect them to last too long, but we'll see. The web site listed above seems like a great place to find and get parts for the do-it-yourselfer like me. Are they reputable? I think I may get ceramics the next go 'round, and order the $51 pads from this Lexus Dealer on-line. Thanks for sharing!!

Eric

Premature rotor wear....

I contend that there is NO such animal!

My life depends on the very BEST braking ability and that means aggressive pads that EAT rotors for lunch.