Cleaning Rotors/calipers?

Hey All,

Just looking at my wheels makes me disgusted...is there anything I can do to take the rust of the rotors and calipers, or do I need to go out and buy new ones...I was thinking of sandblasting them, but wasn't sure if the sand would adversely affect the brake system. Not ever doing this before, can I take the parts off individually and hit them hard with sanding? Also, any recommendations on paint? And can I paint the center caps? The "alloy" color is flaking off on some caps.post-16464-1120538788_thumb.jpg

post-16464-1120538813_thumb.jpg

Joshy0077,

On my wife's old 97 Es and my Subaru I painted the rotors and the calipers. I removed the rotors and using a wire brush I removed the heavy rust. Replacing them on the car makes them easier to paint (since you can turn them by hand without having to support them) and I used Silver Rustoleum paint in a half pint can, and applied it with a brush. (Obviously you don't paint the braking surfaces of the rotors.) The calipers I cleaned using a brake cleaner spray and a wire brush, and then mounted them on the car. I used the same paint and technique as mentioned earlier. Here we have a lot of salt on our winter roads and the results last at least a year or two before I needed to redo them. As for the mag wheel centre caps, you can repaint them with a spray can, but if they are aluminum, you must use a primer paint first that is specifically for use on aluminum, or the paint will just lift off in a short period of time. I'm not sure how the Lexus emblems are fastened on to the caps, but they should come off first. It may be less hassles to just buy new centres, if they don't break the bank. Good luck!

Almost all rotors are mostly iron. They begin to rust an hour or so after water hits them; It's normal.

Buy a bottle of rust kutter type solvent. That'll get the rust off without any work or marring.

Then use whatever high-temp automotive paint you want. Be sure to follow directions (such as baking it on). Don't worry about overspray. It'll get scrubbed off by the pads and burned.

My Brembo's are about a year old now. Still matches OK, but some light spotting from the worlds greatest wheel cleaner.

Two coats looks good. If you don't keep the dust & wheel cleaner off them, it will eat the paint off.

Same for the calipers.