Transmission Overheating?

cobra350

I purchased my 96 LX450 as a second vehicle for towing use. Not good so far, as when I tow my bass boat, the tranny throws out fluid. No problem when driven without towing.

So far, I've flushed the radiator and the tranny cooler.

Should I add another tranny cooler?

Or buy a beefier truck.

Help.

When you say the tranny throws out fluid, where is it (filler tube,...)?

Beside the little tranny cooler, I believe that there's an oil connector to the main radiator also. You may want to use an infrared thermometer and scan across the radiator surface and see if there are any possible blockages.

Beside the radiator, there's a fan clutch, and thermostat that need to be checked also.

I had the problem with the A/C and finally had to replace the radiator. Flushing did not fix the problem for me.

Thi

I purchased my 96 LX450 as a second vehicle for towing use.  Not good so far, as when I tow my bass boat, the tranny throws out fluid.  No problem when driven without towing. 

So far, I've flushed the radiator and the tranny cooler.

Should I add another tranny cooler?

Or buy a beefier truck.

Help.

We need alot more information.

Like are you towing with the Overdrive gear locked out like it says to in the owners manual?

Are you keeping your speed down to 55 MPH or less?

Is this cooling system filled with a 50/50 mix of genuine Toyota Longlife antifreeze & distilled water? If the cooling system has been filled with aftermarket antifreeze and or tap water for several years (auto service shops tend to use tap water) then you probably need a new radiator like Thi said due to mineral buildups.

Is the weight of the boat and trailer combined 3500 lbs or less?

What procedure have you been using to measure the transmission fluid level?

Thanks for the suggestions.

So far, it seems it may be because i was towing too fast and not always out of overdrive...............i'm going to test tow this weekend and will advise, or request more help.........