Brake Light Failure

Hello. I'm new to this forum and I'm having problems with my 93 windom's brake lights. The lights do not come on when I hit the brakes. I changed the bulbs out and they worked fine for a couple of days then they blew again. The fuse is good. Also when I shift out of park I have to press the red button beside the shifter. Any advise you have would be great, I don't know a whole lot about this car. Thanks

You said they came on again and they blew out again. If you put new ones in, are they functional? If they are, is any water getting into your assemblies? Unless you got a bad replacement?

cas,

your two problems are most likely related.

There is a switch up under the dash that is connected to the brake pedal. When you step on the brake, this switch is activated, which then sends the signal to the shift lever lock. It unlocks and you are able to shift. You mention that you have to press the red button on the shifter....that is the manual override.

The brake lights are also tied into switch/pedal in some way.

My guess is that the switch is bad or shorting out. It overloads the brake lights and they blow and it is not activating the shift lever lock mechanism. These switches are electonic devises that do go bad sometimes.

Oddly enough, I can't find a fuse in the fuse listing in my owner's manual that covers the shift lock or the brake switch. This may explain why your fuse is "good".

Take it to the dealer and have them check out this switch.

steviej

• 2 weeks later...

further followup.

On a different website, a member had the same problem but a different model.

Previously stated by me: Oddly enough, I can't find a fuse in the fuse listing in my owner's manual that covers the shift lock or the brake switch. This may explain why your fuse is "good".

The brake light fuse is the fuse for the switch, too. I must add that even though a fuse looks intact and not blown, it may not be seated well and will result in the same as a blown fuse. When checking a fuse, don't just look at it, take it out, examine it and properly reseat it if it is good.

cas0040: excellent work. B)

steviej