1992 - Sc400 A/c Problems

I have a 1992 SC400

currently has about 120,000 kilometers on it.

On the weekend the air conditioning stopped working.

It still blows but it is no longer blowing cold.

Any body else have a similar problem or any ideas on what it might be.

I would like to fix this ASAP as it is starting to get hot out.

thanks

PC

It could be a few problems depending on certain situations. If the compressor clutch is engaging, then it may not be the compressor. Unless there is a leak. If there is a leak, take it to an A/C shop and they will put dye in the system and trace the leak. You may need to replace your orpheus tube as well.

Make sure the compressor is engaging and not just the vent blower blowing air.

I am just giving generic advice because I am a new Lexus owner and have not had to deal with this problem on my car yet.

Dee

I have a 92 with 180k miles on it and the compressor is dieing, will no long blow cold air, barely takes any freon. When it does get enough for the compressor to kick on it is real loud and does not blow cold, so mine needs a new compressor. Check to see if your compressor still works this might be the problem.

I have a 92 with 180k miles on it and the compressor is dieing, will no long blow cold air, barely takes any freon.  When it does get enough for the compressor to kick on it is real loud and does not blow cold, so mine needs a new compressor.  Check to see if your compressor still works this might be the problem.

In my SC if you overpressurize the system the clutch does not engage either. My car will engage it and then kick it off about 2-3 seconds later. I let some freon out and now it does not do that anymore so maybe you overpressurized it when filling it up with freon.

I have a 92 with 180k miles on it and the compressor is dieing, will no long blow cold air, barely takes any freon.  When it does get enough for the compressor to kick on it is real loud and does not blow cold, so mine needs a new compressor.  Check to see if your compressor still works this might be the problem.

In my SC if you overpressurize the system the clutch does not engage either. My car will engage it and then kick it off about 2-3 seconds later. I let some freon out and now it does not do that anymore so maybe you overpressurized it when filling it up with freon.

My 92 SC 400 climate control also quit a couple of days ago. I checked fuses and that was ok so  I replaced the Climate Control heater unit and it still didn't work.  What else could it be if the control unit is ok and the fuses are all ok? 

Dave

took the car to the dealer.

It has already bean changed to the R134 so that saves that expense.

Apparently it is some pipe that needs to be replaced. They had to order it in.

I take the car in tomorow and they will have it done for me on Wednesday.

Only bad thing is the part is like 519.00 and three hours labour at dealer rate.

Nice thing is they went through the whole system and that is the only problem.