Clicking Sound Under Glovebox

davgrooms

I have the same problem with my 2000 RX300, only the noice is coming from the lower servo motor which appears to control hot/cold vs mode. The problem is this one seems impossible to remove as it is behind the aluminum freon lines. I have noticed that if you move the settings between hot/cold the noice goes away temporarily. Any ideas?

• 1 year later...

Oh hell!! The damn clicking is back! :censored: Any suggestion on where to find a REASONABLE price on a new servo box? I'm going to remove the old one and take my trusty Glock to stop the noise once and for all. Then ever so carefully replace it with a shinny new one if I can locate a source.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Hmmm,

Hey guys, i drive a Rx 350 and during long quiet trips on the highway i do hear this clicking noise on

the right side of the dashboard near the window. Is this most likely the servo-motor i have been reading

about or is it some just two pieces of materials touching each other?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hmmm,

Hey guys, i drive a Rx 350 and during long quiet trips on the highway i do hear this clicking noise on

the right side of the dashboard near the window. Is this most likely the servo-motor i have been reading

Thanks

I've also heared a clicking noise around the right side of the dash in my 01 Silversport. At first I thought it was caused by road or engine vibrations, but it continues to click even after I turn the car off. However, I recently noticed that the clicking stopped when I used my front windshield wipers with the washer fluid. I haven't been able to zero in on the cause, but somehow I think the moisture along the seals of the winshield help stop the noise. Can anyone with the a clicking noise verify whether using the windshield wipers will stop the noise on their car as well?

• 4 months later...

LOL... and I thought I was hearing things. I have this same thing with mine, but all controls and units work fine. I'll see if using the windshield wipers fixes the problem (not sure how it would)... does sound like a servo hunting for something... maybe it's snipe hunting.

• 5 weeks later...
LOL... and I thought I was hearing things. I have this same thing with mine, but all controls and units work fine. I'll see if using the windshield wipers fixes the problem (not sure how it would)... does sound like a servo hunting for something... maybe it's snipe hunting.

my wife just told me of a noise from under the dash, 2001 rx300.......it must be the servo motor that others have been saying is making that clicking noise???????????

is the correct fix still to take it out, clean contacts etc......???????? help, thanks

• 1 month later...

Hmmm,

Thanks

I've also heared a clicking noise around the right side of the dash in my 01 Silversport. At first I thought it was caused by road or engine vibrations, but it continues to click even after I turn the car off. However, I recently noticed that the clicking stopped when I used my front windshield wipers with the washer fluid. I haven't been able to zero in on the cause, but somehow I think the moisture along the seals of the winshield help stop the noise. Can anyone with the a clicking noise verify whether using the windshield wipers will stop the noise on their car as well?

Just checked w/s wiper operation and the clicking is still there. I really doubt that the clicking is anything other than the servo motor as has been discussed. Since IndyJim did the clean thing and the noise returned, replacing the motor is probably the best option. Has anyone actually replaced unit with new and if so what was the cost of the part?

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same problem on my 99RX300. I tell people I have a gerbil living in my dash. Any additional info is appreciated.

I fixed it.

Simply by removing the glovebox, cover. Look on the lower left side of the front passenger sit under the glovebox. There are two servomotors in there, take them out (it is kind of hard to get out one of them as it is in the hard-to-reach area). Clean the contacts inside as they got greeze on them and install back. It should fix the problem. It took me about 1 hour.

Good luck

I have a 2000 Rx 300 with the same damn noise...comes from the servo motor. Here's what I did for mine....once I made access could not remove do to the freon lines, but did disconnect the power supply and sprayed the contacts of the servo with electrical cleaner...same stuff you would lose to clean the air flow sensor. Noise has not come back! keep your fingers crossed

I just had both servos replaced on my wife's 2001 RX300, to the tune of $600 at my local Lexus dealer. They let me drive a 2007 ES300 around for two days while waiting for the parts, and I got a really nice bottle of water out of the deal.;-) Any idea if this is a common problem? Have they worked the bugs out of the servo design, or is it likely to occur with newer vehicles, too?

• 2 months later...

My wife's 04 has this noise too, but sounds like it's the driver's side.

How come it doesn't stop or even change if I turn the HVAC system off?

I'll just bring it in and let them fix it under extended warranty. I could use a bottle of that Lexus water anyway; I'm thirsty.

Oh hell!! The damn clicking is back! :censored: Any suggestion on where to find a REASONABLE price on a new servo box? I'm going to remove the old one and take my trusty Glock to stop the noise once and for all. Then ever so carefully replace it with a shinny new one if I can locate a source.

Ken

How did you remove it from behind the freon lines? Seems like one screw I can not get to?

• 7 months later...
The noise is coming from the servo motor that moves the door for the "mode" button. This servo moves diverters to change from vent to floor, etc.

- I popped the bottom panel off under the glove box.

- I then removed the glove box assembly. 2 screws up high, 2 bolts down low.

- With the key on engine off you can press the mode button and watch the servo move. Turn the key completely off.

- Remove 3 screws and plug to take the assembly out.

- Do not attempt to rotate the arm on the end of the servo. It engages w/ a worm gear. Turn it and you will break gears.

- The servo is a snap together unit. Carefully take it apart w/ the arm side down.(so gears don't fall out)

- inside you will see multiple whiper fingers that make contact w/ a gear. Carefully clean these w/ alcohol and a cotton swab.

- Redistribute the contact grease on the whiper pad w/ a clean finger (any oil or lotions on skin will mix w/ the grease and make the copper contacts corrode.

- Carefully snap unit back together.

- Clean contacts on the outer part of servo also w/ alcohal.

Thank you! Thank you!

Just bought a 99 Harrier / RX 300 and the day after cutting the cheque - this noise appears!

Just followed your instructions and it seems to be gone. If it isn't, I'll let you know tomorrow. :)

Thanks for the tip on not rotating the arm. It was soooo tempting.

FYI for others trying it.

1. It took me less than hour from start to finish- and I am not mechanically minded.

2. I sprayed out the inside a number of times with electrical spray cleaner rather than swabs and alcohol.

I had the spray and I didn't want to pull out the gears. See 1 above. ;)

3. Sprayed out the cleaner with a few blasts of compressed air.

Hoped that this would help in removing any dirst/dust/grime that I couldn't see.

4. Lightly sprayed some white lithium grease on the gears and "brass fingers".

That way I didn't have to worry about oil or lotions from the skin.

5. Lightly sprayed the grease with the compressed air.

Moved it around and spread it evenly.

Not bad for an hours work!

Thanks again.

When it comes to cars, like the inside of them, im a noob,lol. what the heck is a TSB, like some sort of computer in ur car that needs to be updated?!? am i suppose to go to my dealer and thell them to do it? also does it cost money?

Tedhnical Service Bulletin - just a periodic update to the dealer about issues that have developed with the cars. It can list known issues as well as fixes for them.

Gary

• 6 months later...

Successfully made the repair. Some additional hints and tips (these may be overly cautious, but they could help prevent some hiccups I encountered):

1. Go to Pep Boys (or your favorite store) and buy electrical cleaner and electrical contact grease before you get started. Also find an eye glass screw driver (see #4).

2. There are 3 servos, two against the center console, and one up high not against the center console. Unplug one at a time to find the culprit (the noise will stop). My guess is that it will be the servo behind the freon lines because of the heat (that was mine).

3. Take the key out of the ignition, do not return it until the repair is complete (don't want to change any positions).

4. You can remove the servo behind the freon lines with an eye glass screw driver (thin, 2-3 inches long, can twist end with pliers). It's only needed for one of the screws, you can fit a thin screw driver between the two freon lines.

5. Before taking apart the servo, record the position of the plastic arm.

6. Be careful, the clips holding the servo together break easily.

7. Once the servo is apart (plastic arm down) record the position of the motor. There are two contacts at top of the motor, I think it's important to not reverse them. There is probably a part number stamped on the motor, know if it was up or down is probably an adequate guide.

8. Record the position of the big gear with the contacts.

8. Completely clean inside (especially big gear with grease on it) with the cleaner, then reapply new grease. I tried without cleaner and grease and ended up having to run to the store then redo everything.

If you do as I did without these hints, the system will blow hot air on max cool:

1. Set air to max cool before removing keys from ignition.

2. Take out servo, do not record plastic arm position.

3. Rotate motor in servo to reverse the poles.

4. Place plastic arm on servo so that it fits back into the damper lever. The damper level falls to the cool position when you remove the servo. Prove this out by turning air on without the servo, play with the lever and you'll see.

Good Luck. I'm not a mechanic and rarely do this kind of stuff, it wasn't so bad. Didn't want to pay $$$ to hush a harmless noise.